none
Excel with Access B.E. RRS feed

• Question

• First off I would like to say thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am in the process of creating an Access db (F.E. and B.E.) but wanted to know if there is a way to use excel as the FE.  I would also like to create a form on a pretty large sharepoint so users can initiate requests and these requests would also populate into the access db.  The B.E. would primarily be used for storing data and used to pull any reports or charts for presentations (unless those should be pulled from the F.E.) 

Thanks!

FNG

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What do you mean by "a pretty large SharePoint?" If you're going to use SharePoint, you might consider using Lists for your backend. If you do, you can use either SharePoint or Access or Excel for the Front End.

Just my 2 cents... 

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:57 PM
  • The SharePoint will be accessed in several locations with multiple users.  Like my name suggests...I really am the FNG...can you please elaborate on utilizing Lists for the BE?  Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:02 PM
  • Hi,

One advantage of using SharePoint is that it allows multiple users to access the information from any location using only their Internet browser. You can't say the same with Access or Excel. Assuming you have Admin rights to your SharePoint site, you can create Lists in SharePoint, which are similar to creating Tables in Access or Worksheets in Excel.

Once the Lists (tables) are created, users can just use the standard SharePoint UI to access the data. Or, you can link the data to an Access or Excel front end application, but you'll have to figure out how to distribute those front ends to your users.

Hope it helps...

• Proposed as answer by Terry Xu - MSFT Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:31 AM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:09 PM
  • Extremely helpful!....Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:21 PM
  • Hi,

In case you're still looking for instructions on how to create a List in SharePoint, check out this article:

Create a list in SharePoint

Also, the following article might be useful as well:

Introduction to integrating data between Access and a SharePoint site

Good luck with your project.

• Proposed as answer by Terry Xu - MSFT Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:31 AM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:10 PM
  • Thank you Terry X.  Huge help!  All suggestions and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

r/

FNG

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

You're welcome. Cheers!

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:44 PM