We can NOT delete the Azure Storage even we tried to delete its Blobs first RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Storage created for a while but we just cannot delete it since we failed to delete Blobs from it.

The Blobs we tried and failed to delete them are:

vinoleo-VinoleoSuse-2012-06-30.vhd

vinoleoinc-vinoleoCentOS-2012-06-30.vhd

Please help out or provide a possible solution for remove this unnecessary Storage that keeps charge from us.

Thanks,

--James

James Du

Sunday, September 16, 2012 12:16 AM

Answers

• I believe I have figured this out. Even though I deleted my VM, the disks were not. I went to manage Windows Azure, selected Virtual Machines and then on the right pane I selected disks. I deleted the disks and was then able to delete my storage.
    • Proposed as answer by casey7 Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:49 PM
    • Edited by casey7 Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jiang Yun Sunday, September 23, 2012 2:49 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:49 PM

All replies

• You have to delete it from the  https://windows.azure.com side not the https://manage.windowsazure.com
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:20 AM
  • We start from https://windows.azure.com side. Trying to delete the storage but got the following error message:

"

Submit Failed

Storage account portalvhdsh9mrc3ykjs1d1 has 1 container(s) which have an active image and/or disk artifacts. Ensure those artifacts are removed from the image repository before deleting this storage account.

"

The problem is that we did not find any so-called container(s) it refers to?! Any work around?

FYI.

We have some Web Sites hosted on the same Azure Pay-as-You-Go plan. So, we definitely do NOT any impacts on these Web Sites while deleting this Storage account.

Please help out.

Thanks and regards,

James Du of Vinoleo Inc.

• Edited by VinoleoInc Monday, September 17, 2012 3:36 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 3:06 PM
  • I'll move this to the Storage forum where you should get better assistance.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:40 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem.

Steps to reproduce in the Azure Preview Portal:

1. Create a new VM - I chose an x-small Windows Server 2012.

2. wait for it to provision

3. Delete the VM - the following warning appears:

"This operation will delete the virtual machine dna-vm-ws2012, while retaining the associated disks in your storage account. Do you wish to continue?" <yes> to delete
    the VM

4. Delete the Storage Account - I get the following:

"Failed to delete Storage account 'x'

Storage account x has 1 container(s) which have an active image and/or disk artifacts. Ensure those artifacts are removed from the image repository before deleting this storage
    account.

Browser: 5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; InfoPath.3; MS-RTC LM 8)

User language: en-us

Portal Version: 6.0.6002.18488 (rd_auxportal_stable.120913-1406)

Subscriptions: y

User email address: z"

5. Switch to Classic Azure Portal & attempt to delete Storage Account:

"Storage account portalvhdst7hbxq79bwz5q has 1 container(s) which have an active image and/or disk artifacts. Ensure those artifacts are removed from the image repository before deleting this storage account."

• Proposed as answer by casey7 Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:47 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Having the same problem. I suppose I should have detached the disk(s) from the VM prior to deleting.
    • Proposed as answer by casey7 Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:44 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:36 PM
  • I believe I have figured this out. Even though I deleted my VM, the disks were not. I went to manage Windows Azure, selected Virtual Machines and then on the right pane I selected disks. I deleted the disks and was then able to delete my storage.
    • Proposed as answer by casey7 Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jiang Yun Sunday, September 23, 2012 2:49 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Glad you got things working, casey7.  Others, if casey7's steps don't work, please let us know - it is true that you need to delete both the VM's *and* the disks.

-Jeff

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:05 AM
  • Please check up our case in hands-on. I do NOT believe "casey7"'s solution works in our situation and we tried before.

We do have similar problem on VM deletion and were consulted with Microsoft Azure support. That problem was resolved by someone in MS and the VM has been removed. (They told me there is/are bugs in Azure System and they found a workaround of that issue.) But the Storage continuously stay as it is and we still have difficulty to remove it.

On the other hand, we found the Web Server going down many times without a clear cause. Something wrong in Azure hosting system?!

If you can, please check up our Azure host plan and dig out details. 

Or, you can contact me at jamesdu@vinoleoinc.com for immediately helps, if I am available.

Thanks,

James

James Du

Sunday, September 23, 2012 6:06 PM
  • delete option is disabled and i tried it on all the browser.

please give a fix if you have.

Friday, March 22, 2013 5:29 AM
  • I have had this orphaned storage account now for nearly 9 months and can not get rid of it.

When trying the VM => Disks solution the Deleted option is deactivated, presumably because the disk in attached to a machine.

However this is the machine I deleted and have no access to any more?

MS please can you delete this storage for me?

__Allan

Sunday, August 11, 2013 10:22 PM
  • If you've deleted a VM but you're unable to remove the disks after a couple hours -- or in this case nine months -- you will need to file a support ticket to get them to delete it for you.

Let me know if you don't have a support contract. E-mail me your subscription ID and disk name to tabrez[dot]mohammed[at]microsoft[dot]com.

-tm

Monday, August 12, 2013 6:38 AM