Visual Studio Designer has problem accessing newly installed extensions

Question

• Today, I tried to add a reference to the Callisto extension via Nuget in Visual Studio.  Nuget downloaded the latest version and without adding any of the Callisto controls in my project, the designer crashed. The error was: "access denied C:Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs...\Extension SDKs" This is where Nuget placed the .dll.

I could get the designer to work initially by running VS as administrator but after building and running the app, the designer then did not render any controls.

I have another project that was started months ago using the Callisto extension and noticed that this .dll lives in the project's package folder (under Documents).  This works fine.  

How do you get VS to access the SDK extensions folder without running as administrator

OR

How do you get Nuget to install the extensions in a folder that is accessible to VS without running as an administrator? 

Thanks.

• Edited by jrboddie Wednesday, December 05, 2012 11:48 PM
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 11:36 PM

Answers

• You can try running this command on the folder that contains the extension SDK. This will grant the required permissions for the designer to load the assemblies and resources from the SDK.

"C:\Windows\system32\icacls.exe" <SDK Folder>" /grant "*S-1-15-2-1":(OI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE) /grant "*S-1-15-2-1":(RX)

This is should not happen normally as the folders that normally contains SDK's have the necessary permissions on them.

Dev@Mic

Thursday, December 06, 2012 1:50 AM

All replies

• You can try running this command on the folder that contains the extension SDK. This will grant the required permissions for the designer to load the assemblies and resources from the SDK.

"C:\Windows\system32\icacls.exe" <SDK Folder>" /grant "*S-1-15-2-1":(OI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE) /grant "*S-1-15-2-1":(RX)

This is should not happen normally as the folders that normally contains SDK's have the necessary permissions on them.

Dev@Mic

Thursday, December 06, 2012 1:50 AM
  • The actual folder for the extensions is: 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0\ExtensionSDKs

so I don't follow your suggestion.  The permission on this folder (according to Explorer) are Read&Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read for all Users.

A possibly related issue is that Blend does not show the templates for XAML projects. HTML project templates are ok.

Just before this reply, I did a Repair Install of VS Express 2012 for Windows 8 and the Blend template issue persists.

Please verify that your original instruction is correct given the difference in paths from my observation and your command.

Thanks.

*********Edit  I applied the command and the designer seems to work for the extension in the SDK folder.  Thanks for the quick reply.

Any ideas about the XAML templates issue?

• Edited by jrboddie Thursday, December 06, 2012 2:45 AM
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 2:28 AM
  • Can you share your  installation sequence leading up to Visual Studio Install ?

Dev@Mic

Thursday, December 06, 2012 5:16 PM
  • The PC was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 (64-bit) with the option of keeping applications, files and settings.  Before the upgrade, it never had any of the pre-release Windows 8 SW but it did have the Expression Suite 4, an old CTP of Blend 3 and several editions of Visual Studio 2010 Express (Web, C#, C++).

Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8 would have been the first new thing that I installed after the upgrade to Windows 8.

Since then, I installed the latest revision of VS 2012 followed by the new Windows SDK for Windows 8.

Prior to the upgrade of this PC, I was using another machine for development with the pre-release SW on a clean installation of Windows 8 (DP, CP and RTM).

Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:16 PM
  • Thanks for the info. I'm looking into seeing whether we have any known issues on our side around this scenario.

Dev@Mic

Thursday, December 06, 2012 11:58 PM