none
creating reports in VS 2005 Express RRS feed

• Question

• I understand that to embed reports in my vs 2005 express application, I need sql express reporting services (which I have downloaded).  However when I try to add a "report" item from the add new item dialog, the "report" icon is not there to select.  I have also downloaded the report viewer redistributable 2005 and added it to my toolbox. 

Please advise what additional steps I need to perform to create and embed reports into my application.

Many thanks,

Gagey.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 10:38 PM

Answers

• You can download the SQL Server Express Advanced Services Edition which supports Reporting Services and the associated tooklkit that has the BI development tools to build reports. See Chapter 14 of my new book for lots more details and plenty of examples.
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 1:04 AM

All replies

• You can download the SQL Server Express Advanced Services Edition which supports Reporting Services and the associated tooklkit that has the BI development tools to build reports. See Chapter 14 of my new book for lots more details and plenty of examples.
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 1:04 AM
  • William:  I realized what I did wrong - I'd downloaded the SQL Server Express Advanced Services but did not download the associated toolkit.  I've now downloaded the toolkit and built my first report using Business Intelligence Development Studio.

What I do not understand is how I embed this report into my existing vb express application?  When I go into my existing application and "add new item", the "report" icon does not exist?

Many thanks for you help and please advise how to complete this last step.

Gagey.

Sunday, April 8, 2007 7:29 PM
  • ReportViewer is supported in the Express version. im using it
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 1:35 PM