none
Is it really that using of VM as target computer for driver debugging is prohibited on Windows 10 and 1809 WDK? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I'm interesting in Kernel Mode Driver Development and use VM as the target computer. But in "Setting Up Kernel-Mode Debugging of a Virtual Machine in Visual Studio" MSDN article at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/setting-up-a-connection-to-a-virtual-machine-in-visual-studio is pointed that "This feature is not available in Windows 10, version 1507 and later versions of the WDK". I just have Windows 10 and 1809 WDK on my computer but I don't have the second physical machine to use it as target computer for drivers deployment and debugging. So I intend to use VM as the target computer. But taking into account the above warning, it turns out that, in my case, it is impossible to use a virtual machine to debug drivers? Is this really the case and I have no way to use a virtual machine to debug drivers? Answer, please. Your answer (or advice) will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Eugene.

Saturday, October 27, 2018 6:06 PM

Answers

• What that says is that you can't use Visual Studio to debug drivers in a VM.  You can still use WinDbg directly.  We hard-core driver developers have never trusted kernel debugging within Visual Studio, mostly because the early versions were shite.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Marked as answer by Purple_Apple Wednesday, October 31, 2018 4:32 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2018 6:44 AM

All replies

• What that says is that you can't use Visual Studio to debug drivers in a VM.  You can still use WinDbg directly.  We hard-core driver developers have never trusted kernel debugging within Visual Studio, mostly because the early versions were shite.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Marked as answer by Purple_Apple Wednesday, October 31, 2018 4:32 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2018 6:44 AM
  • Thank you, Tim. So I can debug kernel mode driver on VM (for example Hiper-V) that installed on the host computer (where I write and build my KMDF driver project) but use in this case only WinDebug for driver debugging instead of Visual Studio?
    Monday, October 29, 2018 6:40 PM