Windows store app - Probem with opening files that was uploaded to ftp server RRS feed

• Question

• I have this below code that uploads a file to my ftp server. 

FileOpenPicker picker = new FileOpenPicker();
                picker.SuggestedStartLocation =
            PickerLocationId.PicturesLibrary;
                picker.FileTypeFilter.Add(
            ".png");
            ".jpeg");
            ".jpg");
            ".bmp");

StorageFile file = await picker.PickSingleFileAsync();

IRandomAccessStream fileStream = await file.OpenAsync(FileAccessMode.Read);

var reader = new Windows.Storage.Streams.DataReader(fileStream.GetInputStreamAt(0));

await reader.LoadAsync((uint)fileStream.Size);

byte[] pixels = new byte[fileStream.Size];

using (Stream requestStream = await request.GetRequestStreamAsync())
                {

await requestStream.WriteAsync(pixels, 0, pixels.Length);
                    await requestStream.FlushAsync();
                }

This code works and i see the file on the server. But when i download the file to open it , i get an error saying that the file is not a valid .bmp file.

I think the uploading process is the reason why the file ends up not being open-able.. Does anyone know what the problem might be? and how i should fix it? 

Monday, August 26, 2013 7:31 AM

All replies

• Is the file on the server the same size as the file that you uploaded from the client?  It sounds like they are likely different.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, August 26, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Yes it is.
    Monday, August 26, 2013 3:04 PM
  • if you download the file to the desktop using a FTP client, can you open it?  

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, August 26, 2013 3:49 PM
  • Nope my get the same error.
    Monday, August 26, 2013 7:34 PM
  • THis is a screenshot of it.

i think i need to use Binary reader to read the bytes but i dont know how.
    • Edited by kalel111 Monday, August 26, 2013 10:50 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 8:00 PM
  • Change the file extensions to .bin and open in Visual Studio, compare the two.  If they are different, then there's something causing that difference.  You would have to get a network trace and compare the bytes being sent with the bytes that are inside the file.  ETW network tracing might also help here. It's possible that you have a firewall or other device in-between the client and server that is causing this problem.  Does it happen if you try to upload to a different machine?

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:09 PM