Procedure to restore a registered file sync server : Azure File Sync on BMR RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I had to bare metal restore a file sync server without the data disk on lets say d:\ drive.

Now after, I think file sync agent automatically, recreated the folders on d:\ all seems healthy in file sync,

• but the files are not downloaded from azure to the server.

Is there a howto procedure out there, what to do, if a registered server needs to be bare metal restored? 

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:00 AM

Answers

• Copying the offline discussion, which would benefit the other community members. Azure File Sync doesn’t support BMR because the registry maintains configuration information that can get out of sync with the Azure File Sync service when performing a BMR.

If you notice that creating, deleting or updating server endpoints on the server is failing.

Recommended steps if the system and data volumes are lost.

Option #1:

• Perform a clean install of Windows Server
    • Install the Azure File Sync agent
    • Register the server
    • Re-add the server endpoint in the existing sync group
    • Sync will download the data to the new server

Option #2:

• Register the server
    • Restore the data volume from backup
    • Sync will reconcile the data on the server and Azure file share
    Friday, March 13, 2020 4:24 AM

All replies

• Thanks for raising this question! Firstly, apologies for the delay in responding here and any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Note : Azure File sync doesn't support performing bare metal restores! 

For more information refer the planning guide: 

Bare-Metal restore can cause unexpected results and isn't currently supported. 

However, please provide your subscription ID,  we can investigate more which server has impacted 

Could you please reach to me via AZCommunity[AT]microsoft.com with a link to this Issue as well as your subscription ID. Please mention "ATTN subm" in the subject field.

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 4:54 PM
  • Hi Sumanth, 

thanks for your reply. Because I was in hurry, I just did the bare metal restore.

And like magic, in the empty drive D:\ (I just had backed up and restored C:\) showed up all missing/synced folders after a couple of minutes...

"Bare-Metal restore can cause unexpected results and isn't currently supported."

Now I'm a little bit afraid of data loss... I'll write you an e-mail.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 7:01 PM
  • Copying the offline discussion, which would benefit the other community members. Azure File Sync doesn’t support BMR because the registry maintains configuration information that can get out of sync with the Azure File Sync service when performing a BMR.

If you notice that creating, deleting or updating server endpoints on the server is failing.

Recommended steps if the system and data volumes are lost.

Option #1:

• Register the server
    • Sync will download the data to the new server

Option #2:

• Register the server
    • Restore the data volume from backup