none
SIMPLE PROBLEM - but my server isn't connecting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I don't know where to begin.  Two problems

1) I have one copy of Microsoft SQL running on my laptop with a server name - Peacock\SQLSERVEREXPRESS. This works fine, EXCEPT when I am trying to upload data from associated applications.  It says there is no "Remote access" - I think I've tried everything but nothing seems to work. 

2) I am trying to install the same software on my new desktop.  It is looking for a network server, and picks up my laptop server.  Is that wrong?  Should I be installing a totally new server on this machine? 

I have gone through all the suggested steps - ie putting in the right port information, although I have not yet found that precise dialogue box where I can provide remote access. 

Please keep it simple - I am relatively new to this...

JD

• Moved by Bob Beauchemin Saturday, December 6, 2014 6:13 PM Moved to forum for client-side SqlClient provider issues
    Saturday, December 6, 2014 2:05 AM

Answers

• For the first question, it seems that the application you are using is trying to connect with a different instance name. The normal instance name for an installation of SQL Server Expression is SQLEXPRESS, not SQLSERVEREXPRESS. But since I don't know the application you are using, I can't say what you need to fix this.

As for the second question, I guess connecting to a different computer to access the database is an option for this software. It seems unlikely that you would always have your laptop powered up everytime you use this software on the desktop. On the other hand, if you install it to use a local database, then you will not have access to the data you have stored on the laptop, but you will need to copy it over. Whether that is an issue, depends on the nature of the application - again, I have no idea what you are running.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Saturday, December 6, 2014 9:54 AM

All replies

• hi ,MoscowJane

everything you did following this thread?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4739b07e-6a5b-42c1-99a3-92b51eef5383/strange-connection-issues-with-instance-name?forum=sqlgetstarted

Saturday, December 6, 2014 5:27 AM
  • For the first question, it seems that the application you are using is trying to connect with a different instance name. The normal instance name for an installation of SQL Server Expression is SQLEXPRESS, not SQLSERVEREXPRESS. But since I don't know the application you are using, I can't say what you need to fix this.

As for the second question, I guess connecting to a different computer to access the database is an option for this software. It seems unlikely that you would always have your laptop powered up everytime you use this software on the desktop. On the other hand, if you install it to use a local database, then you will not have access to the data you have stored on the laptop, but you will need to copy it over. Whether that is an issue, depends on the nature of the application - again, I have no idea what you are running.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Saturday, December 6, 2014 9:54 AM