Unexpected error with JDBC SQL Server 2000 connectivity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are running one shopping site for our organisation, which includes Tomcat 5.0.28 , IIS & SQL Server 2000 SP3 hosted on platform Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Ed. , we are running jsp pages server side and site is hosted on internet,

but it is observed that after every 1/2 days , page will throw following exception, and site get blocked.

javax.servlet.ServletException: Network error IOException: No buffer space available (maximum connections reached?) : connect

Can anybody help please?

I am beginner with JDBC - SQL Server Connectivity ,

I am giving our configuration details:

Driver Used - Microsoft SQL Server Driver 2000 SP3

Protocol Used - TCP/IP which open socket connection on default port 1433

Authentication - Mix Mode Authetication ( using sa account login)

Even setting done within LOCAL instance running on server to allow max. connections i.e 32767

My observation is that some kind of virus threat may causing this error, because if server will be rebooted, we doesn't

get any error and everything works fine.

Waiting for your suggestions and advise.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Mandar Velankar 

Monday, September 3, 2007 6:23 AM

Answers

• Hello Mandar,

Do you see similar problems when using the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 JDBC driver? You can obtain the latest production version at this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6d483869-816a-44cb-9787-a866235efc7c&displaylang=en

The latest Customer Technical Preview (CTP), non-production driver is available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f914793a-6fb4-475f-9537-b8fcb776befd&displaylang=en

The Microsoft SQL Server 2005 JDBC Driver is compatible with both Microsoft SQL Server 2000 as well as Microsoft SQL Server 2005.

Since the above exception is being thrown by JSP/Tomcat, it difficult to assist further on this forum. I'd be delighted to help if you can post the JDBC specific exception.

Offhand it seems that within the port TIMEWAIT period, you are opening more connections than the OS will support. The amount of available ports and the time at which inactive ports are recycled are controlled by the two registry values: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters:

MaxUserPort (default was 5000; can increase to 65534)

TcpTimedWaitDelay (seconds; default was 240 (== 4 minutes); can change to 10)

Kind Regards,

Jaaved

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 8:59 PM

All replies

• Hello Mandar,

Do you see similar problems when using the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 JDBC driver? You can obtain the latest production version at this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6d483869-816a-44cb-9787-a866235efc7c&displaylang=en

The latest Customer Technical Preview (CTP), non-production driver is available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f914793a-6fb4-475f-9537-b8fcb776befd&displaylang=en

The Microsoft SQL Server 2005 JDBC Driver is compatible with both Microsoft SQL Server 2000 as well as Microsoft SQL Server 2005.

Since the above exception is being thrown by JSP/Tomcat, it difficult to assist further on this forum. I'd be delighted to help if you can post the JDBC specific exception.

Offhand it seems that within the port TIMEWAIT period, you are opening more connections than the OS will support. The amount of available ports and the time at which inactive ports are recycled are controlled by the two registry values: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters:

MaxUserPort (default was 5000; can increase to 65534)

TcpTimedWaitDelay (seconds; default was 240 (== 4 minutes); can change to 10)

Kind Regards,

Jaaved

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 8:59 PM
  • Thanks,

it will help me lot.

Regards,

Mandar Velankar

Thursday, September 6, 2007 10:22 AM