none
Inline editing of smart reply/forward in MS-ASProtocolVersion 12.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working of EAS client. The I have to support inline editing of messages sent from client.
    As per EAS protocol documents :

SMART FORWARD
    If the MS-ASProtocolVersion header is set to "12.1", the body of the SmartForward request is the MIME representation of the message to be sent. " and "If the MS-ASProtocolVersion header is set to "14.0" or "14.1", the body of the SmartForward request is WBXML data generated by using the XML elements specified in the table below...

REPLACEMIME
    The ReplaceMime element is an optional child element of the SmartForward element in SmartForward command requests and an optional child element of the SmartReply element in SmartReply command requests. In both contexts, it specifies whether the client is sending the entire message. When the ReplaceMime element is present, the server MUST not include the body or attachments of the original message being forwarded. When not included, the client MUST append the body of the original message as attachments to the outgoing message.
    The client can use this tag to indicate whether the message was edited inline, or whether the message had reply/forward text prepended to the source message. If the ReplaceMime element is present, the message was edited.

My understanding is:
    In version12.1, we are not sending WBXML from client for smart reply/forward. we are sending the message in the body of the request.
    If ReplaceMime is present in request, then server will not attach original message to the reply/forward text sent be the client.

If we are not sending WBXML, then how I should set replacemime in the request so that the server knows that the message is edited inline.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Manish, In 12.1, you cannot modify the original content of the message if you use SmartReply/SmartForward. The MIME that you send in the body of the request only represents the reply or forward body. Whatever you send gets prepended to the original MIME content on the server prior to sending. So basically you’re not sending the entire MIME stream, just a simple MIME representation of the reply.

As a simplified example, omitting a lot of MIME markup, let’s say you have an original message like:

To: john@contoso.com

Subject: Did you get that thing I sent you?

Hey John, did you get that thing I sent you?

To reply with SmartReply, you would send a body something like:

To: jason@contoso.com

Subject: RE: Did you get that thing I sent you?

I sure did, thanks!

Now, when I receive that message, I’d see the normal mail thread as you come to expect, even though your SmartReply request didn’t include it:

I sure did, thanks!

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:29 PM

All replies

• ManishJaswal,

Thank you for your question.  An engineer with the Protocols Team will contact you soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Hi ManishJaswal, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Hi Manish, In 12.1, you cannot modify the original content of the message if you use SmartReply/SmartForward. The MIME that you send in the body of the request only represents the reply or forward body. Whatever you send gets prepended to the original MIME content on the server prior to sending. So basically you’re not sending the entire MIME stream, just a simple MIME representation of the reply.

As a simplified example, omitting a lot of MIME markup, let’s say you have an original message like:

To: john@contoso.com

Subject: Did you get that thing I sent you?

Hey John, did you get that thing I sent you?

To reply with SmartReply, you would send a body something like:

I sure did, thanks!

Now, when I receive that message, I’d see the normal mail thread as you come to expect, even though your SmartReply request didn’t include it:

I sure did, thanks!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:29 PM