none
Backup storage share

Question

• What is the better way to backup a storage share that I presented to a remoteapp.

Help apreciated

François

Monday, September 21, 2015 4:58 PM

Answers

• If it's an Azure File Share, you can use AzCopy to copy all of its contents to blob storage.

I used to back up storage accounts using AzCopy. I'd do a full backup on Saturdays, then incrementals to the same containers the following 6 days.

You might be able to put that in a webjob if you want it to run automatically.

Also, they open sourced AzCopy, and have a library you can use which they’ve posted up on
    GitHub. You could probably do something clever with this as well, to do the "backups" when you want to.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-azure-storage-data-movement-library-preview-2/.

Other than that, there's no backup capability for Azure Files at this time.

Robin

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 12:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Franc01s,

Thanks for posting here.

Could you please explain what sort of storage share are you referring here.

If you want to back any data that is available in azure storage, you may use azcopy or another tool to download them to your on-prem.

Or use asynchronous copy method and back data to another storage account.

Regards.

Shreya

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 10:09 AM
  • Hi Shreya,

It's a file share I use through a remoteapp. My idea was to directly backup it insight the cloud like vm disks.

Seems that is not possible for the moment.

Best,

François

Sunday, September 27, 2015 9:37 AM
  • If it's an Azure File Share, you can use AzCopy to copy all of its contents to blob storage.

I used to back up storage accounts using AzCopy. I'd do a full backup on Saturdays, then incrementals to the same containers the following 6 days.

You might be able to put that in a webjob if you want it to run automatically.

Also, they open sourced AzCopy, and have a library you can use which they’ve posted up on
    GitHub. You could probably do something clever with this as well, to do the "backups" when you want to.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-azure-storage-data-movement-library-preview-2/.

Other than that, there's no backup capability for Azure Files at this time.

Robin

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 12:25 AM