none
Azure Table name rules

Question

• I ran into an exception on CloudTableClient.CreateTableIfNotExist of Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.StorageClientException with an inner exception that contained "One of the request inputs is out of range." in the XML.

I tracked it down to the table name but after checking the MSDN page for both CreateTableIfNotExist (msdn link here) and Addressing Table Service Resources (msdn link here), I found this msdn page regarding blob naming rules.

Do the blob naming rules work for tables as well?

Is there a specific regular expression (possible choices on this forum thread) to use to check this?

@DFBerry
    • Edited by Dina Berry Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:18 AM
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:16 AM

Answers

• The REST interface is the definitive interface to all Windows Azure Storage services. It is always worth reading the REST documentation for this type of issue. Indeed, the REST documentation specifies the following rules for table names:

Table names must conform to these rules:

• Table names may contain only alphanumeric characters.

• A table name may not begin with a numeric character.

• Table names are case-insensitive.

• Table names must be from 3 through 63 characters long.

These rules are also described by the regular expression "^[A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9]{2,62}$".

• Marked as answer by Dina Berry Sunday, January 8, 2012 1:26 PM
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:43 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• I don't think my answer is the rule by MS, but if you notice that you can use URL to reach a blob, then the container name should follow the URL standard, and I never include "/" since it will block the container, blob and delimiter rule. So mu rule is, just not using "/" and follow the URL standard.
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 6:03 AM
  • The REST interface is the definitive interface to all Windows Azure Storage services. It is always worth reading the REST documentation for this type of issue. Indeed, the REST documentation specifies the following rules for table names:

Table names must conform to these rules:

• Table names may contain only alphanumeric characters.

• A table name may not begin with a numeric character.

• Table names are case-insensitive.

• Table names must be from 3 through 63 characters long.

These rules are also described by the regular expression "^[A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9]{2,62}$".

• Marked as answer by Dina Berry Sunday, January 8, 2012 1:26 PM
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:43 AM
    Answerer