none
FrontPage Server Extensions in VS2012?!?! RRS feed

• Question

• It's obviously been a while since I tried opening a web site on a remote server, but I thought it would be trivial. However, today I tried opening a site that's hosted on a 2008 server using VS2012. I was very surprised to find that it complained because the FrontPage server extensions weren't installed. 1) I thought the FrontPage server extensions were ancient history, and 2) I have WebDAV enabled on the site. What surprised me even more is that there appears no ability in VS to open a site like you can in WebMatrix where I can supply a lot more information than simply the site address. What am I missing? How do I open a site in VS like I can in WebMatrix?  I'm obviously not going to install the FrontPage extensions on that server, but how do I get VS to recognize WebDAV or to allow me to specify things like what can be contained in a .publishsettings file?

Thanks!

Brad.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Brad,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Not the real web expert, just to make this issue clearly, whether this issue is related to the Asp.net Deployment?

The FrontPage server extensions weren't installed.

I also did some research about this error message, generally it seems that it is related to the IIS.

Reference:

http://forums.asp.net/t/1910794.aspx

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d0702c5e-702e-451f-8646-7caf23429177/asking-for-frontpage-server-extensions?forum=netfxsetup

Actually this forum is to discuss the Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

Since just the web site has this issue, to help you resolve this issue, my suggestion is that you could post this issue to the ASP.net forum, and there you would get dedicated support.

If I have misunderstood anything, please make free feel to let me know.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:46 AM