Follow up on failed content tests RRS feed

• Question

• What is the proper way to get more details about app failing content certification tests? Should I just resubmit the app and add appropriate comments in "Notes to testers" ?

Specifically I was resubmitting our "Elements Weather Forecast" app that was previously available in the Consumer Preview app store and passed certification back then. Only changes were related to making the app compatible with "Release Preview" SDK. The functionality remained unchanged.

Test report mentions 2 failed requirements:

4.1 Your app must obtain opt-in or equivalent consent to share personal information

Yet, we don't gather any PII in the app. The only item that comes close to personal information is user's current geo-location (if current location forecast is enabled) that is transmitted to our servers to determine closest weather forecast node. This info however is discarded and not logged after the node is determined. Should we still have a privacy policy for this occasion?

6.2 Your app must have a Windows age rating, and you must submit third-party ratings for your app if you have them

We've specified "suitable for all ages" since I don't see how a weather forecast app which only uses simple words like "Rain", "Snow", some numbers and neutral nature backgrounds can be unsuitable for any age. Does the age rating also entail "ease of understanding"? How can we address this?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I think that it would be helpful to have a free-text comment field attached to the certification report that would provide some specifics that would let us address compliance issues quicker.

Saturday, June 2, 2012 1:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Ghostrider,

I would recommend resubmitting the app again, and as you said  make comments for the testers to request feedback on which parts are failing.

Thanks

Monday, June 4, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi Ghostrider-13,

Thank you for the feedback on the certification process. 

Joe-

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:55 PM
  • Any luck with this? I am getting the same results. It fails with  

4.1 Your app must obtain opt-in or equivalent consent to share personal information. 

The only thing I can think of is that we link to the default browser. The url does not contain any personal information. I added a message dialog to confirm that the user wants to open the link in the default browser, but I still get this failed response.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:26 PM
  • If your app uses Geo location: you must have a privacy policy link and age rating of 12+

That's from the experience of submitting my app. The official guidelines are not clear on this.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:42 PM