none
Removing the "Exclude from Publishing" Option in EW4 causes crash... RRS feed

• Question

• I've done some searching on this and I've got two EW4 installations, both Windows 7 x86, that exhibit this problem.

In EW4, exclude a folder from being published, then (at any time -- it doesn't have to be right after or even the next day, anytime) remove the exclusion from the folder.  A window comes up saying "Microsoft Expression Web 4 has stopped working."  It then searches the web for a resolution, but doesn't find one, resulting in a message "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I'm never notified and therefore I don't believe that there is a resolution to the problem.  I also can't remove the exclusion now that it has been set.

Any ideas?

Monday, June 21, 2010 5:24 PM

Answers

• I can't reproduce this. It sounds like it might be corruption in the metadata to me. If this is a FPSE site (HTTP), try recalculating hyperlinks. Otherwise, click Site, Site Settings and remove the check on the Maintain the Site Using Hidden Metadata Files. Click OK and then go back into the same dialog and re-check the box.

Jim

• Marked as answer by Hummdis Monday, June 21, 2010 7:46 PM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:18 PM

All replies

• I don't have Win 7.  All I can say is that what you are seeing does not happen on my installations, Win XP and Vista 64bit.

Monday, June 21, 2010 5:59 PM
  • I can't reproduce this. It sounds like it might be corruption in the metadata to me. If this is a FPSE site (HTTP), try recalculating hyperlinks. Otherwise, click Site, Site Settings and remove the check on the Maintain the Site Using Hidden Metadata Files. Click OK and then go back into the same dialog and re-check the box.

Jim

• Marked as answer by Hummdis Monday, June 21, 2010 7:46 PM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:18 PM
  • That seemed to work to re-enable the excluded folder, however, it also clears all of the subsites and other excluded files from the excluded list.  Was this to be expected?

Monday, June 21, 2010 6:50 PM
  • If you clear metadata, everything relying on it is cleared.  When you re-enable it, it of course won't know what the previous metadata knew.  So, I would say, "yes", it's expected.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:57 PM
  • Thanks for the "smart" reply, Kathy and way to go on keeping to the Code of Conduct .

Jim's response did not indicate that this would clear the metadata for a site if I just uncheck that box.  Furthermore, neither the dialog box where this option is set or the EW Users Guide clearly states that unchecking that box will clear/delete the existing metadata.  It only eludes to the fact that it won't be used.

If I has known that it would clear the metadata I wouldn't have done it since it's quite a task to setup all of the subsites and excluded files/folders again.  If I just needed to clear the metadata for that folder, I would have just deleted the "_vti_pvt" folder inside of that folder.  It clears the metadata for that folder without harm to any other folders.  Despite the fact that the EW Users Guide states that this is not possible, I've just tried it and it most certainly is possible.

My concern was a valid question in relation to the fact that it was not expected for the application to behave in that manner and I was trying to confirm with Jim that this was or was not expected behavior.

As per the problem, it appears that I can now enable and disable exclusions of files/folders at-will now.  Therefore, I believe you're right Jim.  Something in the metadata was in-fact corrupt and thereby clearing the metadata it has become stable again.  Thank you for your help.

Monday, June 21, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Stating that once meta data is gone it is irretrievable (with the possible exception of doing a system rollback) is no violation of any code of conduct. It isn't even a "smart" answer but a statement of the obvious.

There is more to meta data than the _vti_pvt folder. Meta data is also stored in your user %appdata% folder. There are also .web files that are likely to be the cause of your stability problems. See: http://www.95isalive.com/fixes/fpclean.htm which unfortunately isn't available for EW 4 yet.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Monday, June 21, 2010 9:06 PM
  • "Furthermore, neither the dialog box where this option is set or the EW Users Guide clearly states that unchecking that box will clear/delete the existing metadata.  It only eludes to the fact that it won't be used."

I've got to argue with you there.

The link to an EW help section is right in the metadata dialog.  This section includes:

"You can easily add metadata to or remove metadata from your site. "

"To remove metadata from your site
    On the Site menu, click Site Settings.

In the Site Settings dialog box, on the General tab, clear Maintain the site using hidden metadata files."

And, if you don't click that to get an explanation of the option, you will still be warned.  When you uncheck metadata and OK it, you get a warning, with the option to continue or cancel.  The warning says, "Are you sure you want to remove all Expression Web management information?"

Can't get much clearer than that: it's removing, not just not using.

Monday, June 21, 2010 9:41 PM
  • I have the same problem, I am using Windows 7, EW4 and when i exclude a folder, EW crashes. If i exlude a file it is ok. It doesnt happen on all of my websites but it does happen on 5 sites that i know of right now.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Bugs need to be reported on Microsoft's Connect site.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:48 AM
  • I experienced the same problem and tried installing the EW4 onto another computer and copying the web pages (to be published) onto that computer and had the same problem.  After some trial and error, because I have several web sites on the original computer, I was able to open those sites and perform the task, I CREATED a NEW (empty) site and proceeded to copy the _vti_cnf AND the _vti_pvt folders from the NEW site into the old site (overwriting everything) and viola... that solved the problem.

AND BTW, to avoid trying to find the question of the dropouts while FTPing, I even solved what looks like the same problem that others AND I have had; I use AVG for my antivirus software and just after updating to AVG2013, started experiencing the problem back in March 2013.  I hadn't given it much thought as I stopped uploading for a while until recently when I was forced to solve the problem.  I downloaded the new AVG2014, uninstalled the 2013 rebooted the computer, installed the AVG2014 and the FTP problems have apparently been solved.  I had even thought that the hosting service and/or my DSL ISP was limiting my access (talk about personal insecurities).  The AVG 2013 was the culprit.

Any questions? email me at georgelee'at'oiccs.com and I will answer any questions about what I did to solve these problems. Just please use "EW4 Questions" in the Subject Line.

Sunday, November 3, 2013 12:00 AM