none
Visual Studio 2010 issues with entity framework model and components RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue with Visual Studio 2010 and the Entity Framework which now causes many other performance issues.  Here is a break down of what is going on.  I did have the June Tools installed and have tried removing those and what i see as virtually every other combination of EF that might resolve the issue.

Whenever i load anything in design view, whether it be windows forms or web forms, it just sits and spins for a while trying to load toolbox items.  After usually 3-4 minutes it will allow me to work with Visual Studio again.  I have seen numerous posts on this and have gone through all the steps to resolve.

I am unable to use the Entity Model Browser.  It actually does not show up in the View >> Other Windows section and if i open up an EDMX, it will just display the xml.  So it obviously has no idea what type of file it is.  

When running VS with /log to get the output into the ActivityLog.xml

1480 ERROR SetSite failed for package [Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.Package.MicrosoftDataEntityDesignPackage] {8889E051-B7F9-4781-BB33-2A36A9BDB3A5} 80131513 VisualStudio 2011/10/29 14:34:47.473 1481 ERROR End package load [Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.Package.MicrosoftDataEntityDesignPackage] {8889E051-B7F9-4781-BB33-2A36A9BDB3A5} 80131513 VisualStudio

Here is what i tried.

Went through the process recommended here http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/98b8c470-c049-4a4e-a207-c7e2feb0f218 and http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/adodotnetentityframework/thread/5ccb3e24-5dcd-4057-9cc0-5f547a368bdc

Uninstalled all 3rd party tools and extensions - no change

Reapplied SP1 - no change

Uninstalled VS 2010 and all tools, reinstalled, applied SP1 - no change.

I have no idea what else to try.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi shawncutter,

Welcome!

---------------------

We recommend installing the Microsoft Entity Framework and SQL Server Tools for Data Framework June 2011 CTP in a non-production environment to avoid any risk associated with installing and uninstalling pre-release software.

If the SQL Server Tools for Data Framework CTP is uninstalled, existing functionality installed with Visual Studio 2010 (such as the Entity Designer) will no longer be available.

Solution
    Locate the Visual Studio 2010 installation DVD and insert it into your computer. If you are using an Express SKU of Visual Studio and don’t have the installation media, you can obtain new media here

Launch an administrative-level command prompt and execute one of the following commands. These commands restore versions of the EF Tools files that were initially shipped with Visual Studio 2010.

With Ultimate, Pro, or other non-Express SKUs:
    [DVD drive letter]:\WCU\EFTools\ADONETEntityFrameworkTools_enu.msi USING_EXUIH=1

With C# Express, VB Express, and Visual Web Developer Express SKUs:
    [DVD drive letter]:\[VBExpress, VCSExpress, or VWDExpress]\WCU\EFTools\ADONETEntityFrameworkTools_enu.msi USING_EXUIH=1

To update the EF Tools with what shipped with Visual Studio Service Pack 1, there are two options:

To run an update only for EF Tools, create a DVD with Visual Studio Service Pack 1 and execute the following command from an administrative-level command prompt. This update will only take a few minutes to complete.

msiexec /update [DVD drive letter]:\VS10sp1-KB983509.msp /package {14DD7530-CCD2-3798-B37D-3839ED6A441C}

To avoid creating a DVD, reapply SP1. Launch the Uninstall/Change programs applet in the Control Panel, double-click on Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1, and then choose the option to “Reapply Microsoft Visual Studio Service Pack 1.” This approach will take longer since all of SP1 will be applied, not just the EF Tools file updates.

---------------------

You can refer them from the Readme.html from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=41&srcfamilyid=f711f59d-1835-4e0b-9e0c-caed5e31521b&srcdisplaylang=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f6%2f6%2fB%2f66BDE4AD-461E-4044-8DFE-8584D340CE1C%2fJune2011CTP-EF-Readme.html

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 31, 2011 2:51 AM

All replies

• Hi shawncutter,

Welcome!

---------------------

We recommend installing the Microsoft Entity Framework and SQL Server Tools for Data Framework June 2011 CTP in a non-production environment to avoid any risk associated with installing and uninstalling pre-release software.

If the SQL Server Tools for Data Framework CTP is uninstalled, existing functionality installed with Visual Studio 2010 (such as the Entity Designer) will no longer be available.

Solution
    Locate the Visual Studio 2010 installation DVD and insert it into your computer. If you are using an Express SKU of Visual Studio and don’t have the installation media, you can obtain new media here

Launch an administrative-level command prompt and execute one of the following commands. These commands restore versions of the EF Tools files that were initially shipped with Visual Studio 2010.

With Ultimate, Pro, or other non-Express SKUs:
    [DVD drive letter]:\WCU\EFTools\ADONETEntityFrameworkTools_enu.msi USING_EXUIH=1

With C# Express, VB Express, and Visual Web Developer Express SKUs:
    [DVD drive letter]:\[VBExpress, VCSExpress, or VWDExpress]\WCU\EFTools\ADONETEntityFrameworkTools_enu.msi USING_EXUIH=1

To update the EF Tools with what shipped with Visual Studio Service Pack 1, there are two options:

To run an update only for EF Tools, create a DVD with Visual Studio Service Pack 1 and execute the following command from an administrative-level command prompt. This update will only take a few minutes to complete.

msiexec /update [DVD drive letter]:\VS10sp1-KB983509.msp /package {14DD7530-CCD2-3798-B37D-3839ED6A441C}

To avoid creating a DVD, reapply SP1. Launch the Uninstall/Change programs applet in the Control Panel, double-click on Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1, and then choose the option to “Reapply Microsoft Visual Studio Service Pack 1.” This approach will take longer since all of SP1 will be applied, not just the EF Tools file updates.

---------------------

You can refer them from the Readme.html from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=41&srcfamilyid=f711f59d-1835-4e0b-9e0c-caed5e31521b&srcdisplaylang=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f6%2f6%2fB%2f66BDE4AD-461E-4044-8DFE-8584D340CE1C%2fJune2011CTP-EF-Readme.html

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 31, 2011 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.  Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.   I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice day. 

Alan Chen[MSFT]

Friday, November 4, 2011 6:35 AM