none
UEFI shell RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Am using a system with Windows 10 with UEFI.

I want to know how to launch UEFI shell.

Regards,

Shwetha

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:33 AM

Answers

• And did you do any searching at all?  If you had Googled your question, you would have had many good answers.

On some systems, you going into the BIOS setup at boot time, and the Boot page will have a menu option to start the UEFI shell.  On some systems, you have to create a bootable USB flash drive with the UEFI shell binary in a special location (EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi).

Tim Roberts, Driver MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:57 AM

All replies

• And did you do any searching at all?  If you had Googled your question, you would have had many good answers.

On some systems, you going into the BIOS setup at boot time, and the Boot page will have a menu option to start the UEFI shell.  On some systems, you have to create a bootable USB flash drive with the UEFI shell binary in a special location (EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi).

Tim Roberts, Driver MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:57 AM
  • Yes i have gone through it..

My system does not have an option in the boot menu to start the UEFI shell. 

EFI system partition already contains the file bootx64.efi (EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi).

Now I created a bootable USB flash drive and also the UEFI shell binary there in the location (EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi).

I connect the USB to PC, go to BIOS setup, i do not find any option to launch UEFI shell. Only there is the USB flash drive listed, when i click on it, it directs me to the windows setup page.

Regards,

Shwetha

Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:27 AM
  • Any idea on this?
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:58 AM