CreateBitmapFromDxgiSurface()

Question

• I'm rendering DirectX content to a XAML control in a C++/XAML app using the SurfaceImageSource approach described here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh825871.aspx . I'm then using ID2D1DeviceContext::CreateBitmapFromDxgiSurface() to write Direct2D content on top of the 3D content.

It works fine, but I was wondering about memory when CreateBitmapFromDxgiSurface() is called. Does it share the SurfaceImageSource's memory, or is a copy of the memory being taken? Since I may be doing the drawing many times within a loop, it would be nice if it wasn't creating new bitmap bits for each draw. Or even if it is, maybe I shouldn't be concerned with it?

I notice there's a function:  ID2D1RenderTarget::CreateSharedBitmap(). This returns a  ID2D1Bitmap as opposed to the ID2D1Bitmap1 returned by CreateBitmapFromDxgiSurface().  Anyway, I tried passing the SurfaceImageSource's IDXGISurface to it, but got an error message saying the bitmap pixel format is unsupported.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Robert

Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:51 AM

All replies

• I managed to get ID2D1RenderTarget::CreateSharedBitmap() to work by retrieving the DXGI_FORMAT from IDXGISurface and passing it into the bitmapProperties argument as follows:

ComPtr<ID2D1Bitmap> bitmap; ComPtr<ID2D1DeviceContext> d2dContext; ComPtr<IDXGISurface> surface; DXGI_SURFACE_DESC desc; D2D1_BITMAP_PROPERTIES bp; surface -> GetDesc(&desc); bp.pixelFormat = PixelFormat(desc.Format, D2D1_ALPHA_MODE_IGNORE); bp.dpiX = bp.dpiY = 0.0f; d2dContext -> CreateSharedBitmap(__uuidof(IDXGISurface), surface.Get(), &bp, &bitmap);

d2dContext -> SetTarget(bitmap.Get());

I'd still be interested in any feedback anyone may have on using this approach, and whether using ID2D1DeviceContext::CreateBitmapFromDxgiSurface() does in fact create extra memory.

Robert

• Edited by RobertHF Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:33 PM text formatting
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:27 PM
  • I think they both use shared memory. The difference is who create the resource ,d2d or d3d.

C++ DX11

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:02 AM