Application Proxy Group RRS feed

• Question

• I hoping someone will be able to answer this question for me.  We have a sharepoint 2010 enterprise install that was configured with a web application, for a "one off" site that needed to be deployed.  All services were installed to the Default Application Proxy Group... We have now been asked to scale this out and in order to do so I would like to know if we can "change" the original application Application Proxy Group to custom and have the scaled out Web Application as the default services installed. The main reason for this is we now have a Content Type Hub that cannot be managed from the Central administration because the application we are using it for is not the default.  Not sure if I am explaining this correctly, if not let me know.. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:56 PM

Answers

• If you're wanting to change the name of the default proxy, that you can't do. But you can absolutely remove or add services to the default proxy or any custom proxies you create. You can then change what Web applications are associated with the different application proxies.

So if you want the services currently set in your custom proxy to be in your default proxy, in the Service Application Associations under the Application Managementy:

First document what services are checked in your default proxy and in your custom proxy.

Then modify your custom proxy for your webapplication2 to be the services selected previously in your default proxy group.

Lastly modify the services in your default proxy group on webapplication1 with the services that were previously selected in your custom proxy for webapplication2.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:54 PM

All replies

• Are you asking if you can create a new custom Application Proxy group, and then change the the proxy group associated with your scaled out web application to use it? If so, yes you can do that. This would leave a default application proxy group and your new custom group. Let me know if that's not what you're asking.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:19 PM
  • In a nutshell I want my custom proxy to be the default proxy and visa versa....

This is what I have now

webapplication1 - default proxy group (created during sharepoint install)

webapplication2 - custom proxy group

I want webapplication2 to have the custom proxy group and webapplication1 to be the default proxy group.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:57 PM
  • If you're wanting to change the name of the default proxy, that you can't do. But you can absolutely remove or add services to the default proxy or any custom proxies you create. You can then change what Web applications are associated with the different application proxies.

So if you want the services currently set in your custom proxy to be in your default proxy, in the Service Application Associations under the Application Managementy:

First document what services are checked in your default proxy and in your custom proxy.

Then modify your custom proxy for your webapplication2 to be the services selected previously in your default proxy group.

Lastly modify the services in your default proxy group on webapplication1 with the services that were previously selected in your custom proxy for webapplication2.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Let me suggest an alternative approach.

While the UI only permits using either the default proxy group or creating a custom one at each application, PowerShell offers the ability to create additional proxy groups that are centrallly managed and available for selection for any application.

The New-SPServiceApplicationProxyGroup cmdlet creates a new service application proxy group and then Add-SPServiceApplicationProxyGroupMember is used to add members to the new group.

For example:

New-SPServiceApplicationProxyGroup -Name Public creates the new proxy group named "Public"

Get-spserviceapplicationproxy > c:\applicationproxies.txt gives a list of all proxies for services with all their properties so one can cut-n-paste the appropriate GUID.

Add-SPServiceApplicationProxyGroupMember Public –Member <GUID> adds the desired members to the new proxy group.

This proxy group membership cannot be managed from the UI.

It will appear as a selection for any application in the Configure Service Application Associations page and presents a choice which is guaranteed to be consistent across multiple applications.

Daniel Webster MCT, MCSE: Security + Internet, MCSA, MCTS: MOSS07 Co-author, Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Administrator’s Pocket Consultant Contributing author, Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Administrator’s Companion http://www.linkedin.com/in/wdanielwebster www.summit7systems.com

• Proposed as answer by may dani Friday, December 14, 2012 3:25 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 2:59 PM