none
WPF C# app store publishing

Question

• Dear all,

I need to build a standard business app to be running on a Surface tablet. As it is a business app I was Thinking first to publish it on Customer device using side loading. But the trouble I will have with that approach is that it will be hard to get Customer tablet at my own place due to distance between us and Customer and managment of update might be complicated.

So I might choose to publish it on the store, even if it is a business app, and then my customers can download the app directly.

In order to use the application, Customer will have to get an access to our CMS where all specific Customer content will be store and used by the application. Without this CMS access valide and configure the application is useless.

If I publish my application to the store, will it be acceped if no access to CMS is valid or will it be refused ?

Thanks for your advise

regards

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Wakefun,

The app must be able to pass our policy requirements in order to pass certification.  If you are afraid that the app may not pass you have another option which is Enterprise Sideloading.

-Miles

Windows and Windows Phone Dev Center Support

Send us your feedback about the Windows Platform

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 7:28 PM
  • Hello Miles,

Just to be sure that I understand ( sorry I have never use this feature yet and need to be sure at 100%)

My constraints :

• As I said, application will run on WinRT Windows tablet
    • I will not necessary have my Customer device beside me

By using Enterprise side loading, does that mean I could send an application package to my Customer for instance which will be able to install it on his device without having Visual Studio installed ?

Thanks for clarification

regards

Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:12 AM
  • WPF won't run on a WinRT tablet, it requires the .Net framework which means windows pro.

You don't need visual studio there but sideloading a windows store app is potentially a tedious process if the customer can't push it out to users themselves.

You should probably read this:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn613831.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If it's a wpf app and they're using pro versions of windows you can build an msi using one of a number of option, including:

Visual studion installer projects extension https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/9abe329c-9bba-44a1-be59-0fbf6151054d 

Installshield ( lite version is free )

Wix

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: Change Tracking; All my Technet Articles

Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:12 AM
  • Hello ,

Sorry miss using technology word :-)

What I was meaning is that I building the app using XAML + C#

The application that I am building is not build for my internal company but for customers in a speific area ( actually ski mountains )

Best way for sure will be to place my app on the store but the app need a connection to a CMS where users need to get a valid subscription

What is the best approach in application design to be valid in such condition ? do I need to provide demo data and demo access to our CMS ?

regards

• Edited by wakefun Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:33 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:23 AM
  • OK, so I suppose it's a windows store app.

To sell through the store you need to make sure it conforms to all the store requirements.

You might find that's easy to do or you might find it's effectively a re-write and not a viable option.

You need to investigate so you know either way though.

Let's imagine you did all the right stuff and it's app store ready.

How you sell this is the next consideration.

At one extreme you have a huge saleforce.  A salesman travels to a potential customer and sells it to them with a nice demo.

At the other end you have no salesmen and no marketing channel.

In the latter case the app store can be a substantial part of your marketing channel.

You can make your app work in demo mode until they purchase and you can supply demo data.

Hope that helps.

Friday, May 22, 2015 8:21 AM
  • Hello Andy,

The store app that I am building will be free for my customers. The fees is only from the access to our CMS subscritpion.

The app is here to show wht has been configured on CMS.
    Only advantage I see by placing it at the store is that it is easy accessble and downloadable by my customers, and update are easier.

But my concern is more on be sure that my app is accepted on the store. As I have never done that before I am looking for advise on how should I implement my app data in order that I am more concentrate on the app that spending huge effort to get it validated.

So when an app need a connection to a CMS content, how should I set it up from that point ? define a demo token with data ?

Friday, May 22, 2015 11:20 AM
  • There's a facility in the app store to deliver partial functionality as a trial.

I would put the data access part in a mock data layer dll.

Overlay that with another one uses your web service when they pay some token amount.

I'm not sure about doing that with no payment, maybe you could.

Depending on usage you might want to work with cached data if this is potentially going to be occasionally connected.

You could deliver an initial set of mock data and refresh this by reading from your cms when they pay.

Kind of depends how your cms will work and what you're doing etc etc.

Hope that helps.

Friday, May 22, 2015 12:13 PM
  • Hello,

having demo mock data and then switch to real web service when they pay in order to get a real token ID that is fully ok for me.

The only thing that I was worried about was from thhe fact that MS will refuse my app on the store because it is need to have a user register to our CMS.

I rememeber a frien a mine gets some trouble with this with Apple App Store which has been refuse for that and get huge trouble to validate it. Due to that he move the app to android

regards

Friday, May 22, 2015 12:32 PM