3rd Party LightSwitch Controls Compatability with VS 2013 RC RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

Since migrating my solution from VS 2013 Ultimate Preview to VS 2013 Ultimate RC, controls/extensions from 2 developers fail with the same issue.

ComponentOne (Grape City) are investigating the issue that I see with their Studio for LS collection of controls and I have also raised a support topic at http://www.vblightswitch.com/ regarding Dave's excellent TreeView control.

In both cases I see a similar issue on loading a LS SL screen in debug mode. Below is an example from the TreeView extension:

"Error launching the screen. Error : Could not resolve reference property 'ContentItem.View' with reference string 'VBLSTreeviewControl:TreeviewControl' . Reason: 'NoItemMatched'."

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? What is the cause/solution anyone?

Regards,

Mark

Friday, September 20, 2013 7:17 AM

All replies

• I am having the same problem on upgrading to 2013 RC.

I put together a simple extension with the Lightswitch Extensibility Toolkit and the same problem.

If anyone has any idea, I would be grateful.

Friday, September 20, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Hi

Thanks to Dave, he found that Beth Massi is onto this (see copy of email from Dave below).

Mark,

I did a little research on this issue and found the following post:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/7287c9b9-c8b2-4cda-98b7-c184afa72c7d/are-old-ls-extensions-supposed-to-work-with-vs-2013-rc

They seem to have a temp fix and Beth Massi updated to say that a newer than RC internal release of VS2013 does not have the issue.

Let me know if this fix works.

Thanks, Dave 

Mark

Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:14 AM
  • Hi

Thanks to Dave, he found that Beth Massi is onto this (see copy of email from Dave below).

Mark,

I did a little research on this issue and found the following post:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/7287c9b9-c8b2-4cda-98b7-c184afa72c7d/are-old-ls-extensions-supposed-to-work-with-vs-2013-rc

They seem to have a temp fix and Beth Massi updated to say that a newer than RC internal release of VS2013 does not have the issue.

Let me know if this fix works.

Thanks, Dave 

Mark

Hi Dave

I've just upgraded to VS 2013 Ultimate RTM and I still get the issue, so I'll look into the work-around that you mentioned.

I assumed that the issue would be resolved with RTM but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Regards.

Mark

Saturday, October 19, 2013 2:45 AM
  • Having this issue in Release mode, not in debug????

Crazy!!

Regards

Sven

Sven Elm

Sunday, October 20, 2013 2:19 PM
  • There is obviously something more to this but it is not all doom and gloom. I have a LightSwitch extension containing every possible type of custom control, built in VS2012 targeting "[11.0,13.0)". The TestBed project upgraded fine from VS2012 - VS2013 RTM. The only hitch was a test WCF RIA service that need a LightSwitch reference changing. It all works, themes, value, business type, layout.

Many 3rd-party controls were built in VS2010 and I have not had time to investigate them further with VS2013. When I did try I gave up attempting to get the Pixata controls to work.

I have even got custom controls and templates working for the HTML client which I will share shortly.

I think the testing and feedback needs a more systematic approach as a lot of this does work.

Regards

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 2:36 PM
  • Well I tried some extension here built in VS2010 and I am not having a problem when adding to a VS2013 RTM project. So what Beth said is true, there is a fix in RTM as this was all broken for me with the RC.

Can someone help with a simple path to reproduce this problem? There are many permutations, possibilities and likely simple workarounds.

Questions like...

Do people make sure that they have the custom controls installed and working in VS2013 before attempting an upgrade?

Check the extensions are not disabled (in Tools > Extension & Updates) as this happened to me a few times, but not since the RTM.

Cheers

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

• Edited by Xpert360 Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:10 PM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:09 PM