none
[SOLVED] Recording new macro in Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• None of the Word 2010 installations at our site are allowing actions to be performed during macro recording in Word. We select Record Macro and get the "casette" cursor. No actions (like enter text, select text, find text) can be executed. After selecting pause or stop recording, actions are allowed.

the macros are being recorded to normal.docm. the macro Sub is written to normal.docm, but has no contents.

• Edited by Blane245 Monday, January 10, 2011 12:40 PM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 3:22 PM

Answers

• Please refrain from using profanity in the forum, be polite - as you'd expect others to be polite towards you, and post a proper question rather than gratuitous accusations.

You can get the context menu (right-click menu) by pressing Shift+F10 on the keyboard, then use the arrow keys to select the command you want to execute.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:46 PM
  • It has always worked that way, in all versions of Word. While recording a macro, you cannot use the mouse to select anything in the document; you can use the mouse to click buttons on the ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar though.

You can move the insertion point and select text using the keyboard.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 2:13 PM

All replies

• It has always worked that way, in all versions of Word. While recording a macro, you cannot use the mouse to select anything in the document; you can use the mouse to click buttons on the ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar though.

You can move the insertion point and select text using the keyboard.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Wow, I guess I never noticed that. I have done a lot of macro work in Excel and just assumed it worked the same way. I have also noticed that one has touse advanced find to get that recorded as well.
    Monday, January 10, 2011 12:39 PM
  • @Blane245, you are correct, past versions of Word did allow the user to select text while recording a macro.  I just recorded a macro for a function I performed in 2003 and it did not allow me to select text while recording.  Not sure Hans has performed this type of event in a macro in Word before. 

Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:11 PM
  • It is certainly possible to /select text/ while recording a macro, but here (WinXP+Word2003) I cannot select text /using the mouse/ during macro recording. Other methods such as using the arrow keys are still available.

Of course, just because /I/ cannot do it, does not necessarily mean that it cannot be done. e.g.

a. some mouse drivers might conceivably generate Windows events that Word can process (although that seems unlikely to me)

b. there might be some trick that allows it to be done.

But on a pretty ordinary system here, if I try it, it doesn't work. So if it works where you are, perhaps you can work out what is different about your system!

Peter Jamieson
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:45 PM
  • I beg to differ. I have been recording macros in Word for over 20 years and I have always used the mouse to select text in the document while recording the macro.For example, see http://www.scribd.com/doc/89929116/239/Recorded-Macros

Using the mouse was a very handy way to copy and paste text into the Find and Replace dialog box, instead of having to type it out. When running the macro, the text as selected using the mouse appeared in the Find and Replace box.

If I had used the keyboard to locate, select and copy text into the Find and Replace dialog box, the text which appeared in the box when running the macro would have been different with every document I used the macro in. This is because the macro would contain commands to move x lines up or down or sideways and then select, for example, a certain number of characters.

Sadly I am suddenly unable to use the mouse to do this useful job. Only two things have changed: 1. I have a new mouse and 2. Microsoft updates may have changed some settings.

Do you have any ideas about how I can get back this mouse functionality? I can't use the mouse at all, not even to move the insertion point. I am following up Logitech as well, but the problem is most likely in the interface between the software and the mouse.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 3:14 PM
  • From the link that you posted:

"When you're recording a macro, you can use the mouse to click commands
    and options, but the macro recorder doesn't record mouse movements in a
    document window. E.G. you can't use the mouse to move the insertion point or to
    select, copy, or move items by clicking or dragging. You must use the keyboard
    to record these actions."

If you have been able to use the mouse to select text etc. while recording a macro, you must have used a very different version than I have been using the last 17 years or so...

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 3:35 PM
  • I came across the same problem but you actually can select the word to be copied by moving the insertion point anywhere in the word and then pressing F8 twice. If you have a mac, just press fn f8 f8
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:47 PM
  • What the hell good is this!?  The mouse is "frozen" from use while recording a macro?  That's so lame it's not even funny.  I'm trying to create a macro that'll reset the size of a pasted image to 100%.  I paste the image, select it, then start recording the macro.  Now all of a sudden I can't right click the image to bring up the "size" option window to set it to 100%.  If I stop or pause the macro, I can pull up the size dialog window.  But guess what, now I can't click the Macro resume button because another window is open!

FAIL on Microsoft's part.

Oh, and whoever marked this topic as "SOLVED" is obviously delirious.
    • Edited by Zyrexiaix Friday, January 3, 2014 3:47 PM
    Friday, January 3, 2014 3:46 PM
  • Please refrain from using profanity in the forum, be polite - as you'd expect others to be polite towards you, and post a proper question rather than gratuitous accusations.

You can get the context menu (right-click menu) by pressing Shift+F10 on the keyboard, then use the arrow keys to select the command you want to execute.

Friday, January 3, 2014 4:46 PM
  • I agree that something has changed in the behavior of Word when recording a macro. I have, for more than a dozen years, being using a variation of the same macro (resizes an image, sets a border, changes a style). I record it anew for each project, as the variants (image size and style used, mostly) often change, and it is quite easy to record.

Rather, it was.

I went in today to record one, as I wanted to add a rotation to the mix. When I started recording, however, I discovered that Word was de-selecting the image I selected. At that point, I can neither select the image (as others have noted) nor (therefore) make any of the changes I want to record.

I went back and tried to record a macro in a different document, and had the same result (using an image type that I had used to record a previous macro). Those (sorry to call you out, Hans) who say there is no change in the behavior of Word during macros are mistaken. This is a significant change, and has happened, as far as I can tell, within Word 2010 (as I have used Word 2010 in the past year to record a similar macro) rather than between versions.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:12 PM
  • I never claimed that there have been no changes at all in the way Word records macros - in fact, there has been a severe loss of functionality from Word 2003 to Word 2007, which has only partially been corrected in Word 2010.

However, in my experience it has never been possible to use the mouse to select text while recording a macro. To select objects with the mouse, you must turn on Select Objects from the Select dropdown in the Editing group of the Home tab of the ribbon, otherwise you can't select objects with the mouse either.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:26 PM
  • Hello,

I just want to say in my experience I have always been able to select text when recording a macro, I created a very document that required re-aligning column widths and so forth. The new versions of WORD dont allow you to do this anymore. A big failing on Microsoft for cutting back on functionality...

Disappointing.

Friday, June 20, 2014 1:10 AM
  • Thank you -- Shift+F10 is a life saver!
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:04 PM
  • I beg to differ. Having read this reply I was convinced by it but accidently found 5 minutes later that it is not accurate at all. You CAN select objects, such as textboxes etc. in the word document with the mouse while recording a macro. With the newer versions of Word you have to click on the menu item 'SELECT OBJECTS' first. (It's on the HOME RIBBON under EDITING - right hand end on my version.) It works fine. So please unmark the previous post as 'ANSWER'.

Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:12 PM
  • You cannot select text in the document using the mouse though, and that's what the original poster wanted to do.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:15 PM
  • I agree with Bellap (and others) that you always used to be able to select text and objects when the Macro recorder was activated.  I have hundreds of examples.  And... just to prove it to myself, I took a Word 2010 macro enabled document (.docm) where I was having exactly the same problem as the original poster described, and saved it as a Word 97-2003 document (.doc).  As soon as it was in the old format, I could, in fact, use my mouse to select text and objects while recording a macro.

So for all of you who have this problem with word 2010, save your .docm as a .doc, record your macro and then copy/paste it back to the original .docm.

Anyone who claims that the Word macro recorder has never allowed the selection of text or objects simply does not know what they are talking about and should have their MVP revoked.

Friday, April 3, 2015 1:03 PM
  • That's the key! Thank you Cindy! 

I've been struggling with trying to create a macro to adjust paragraph settings, and of course it cannot be done by right clicking on a mouse in the macro Record mode. Your Shift F10 opened it right up! I have my macro. I really believe in macros as I teach online courses and have much repetition in both Excel and Word. This has been a frustrating experience. 

Best regards, R. Audibert

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:14 PM
  • I don't know how old your question is, or whether you've already received a response, but Hans' answer was not correct. Look further down for Cindy Meister's response. When you enter the macro record mode, your right click is disabled, but if you click on Shift + F10, you get the right click commands available to you in the Macro mode. Her answer has restored my faith in Word! I use macros constantly, so this has been a frustrating experience for me as well. By the way -- I'm using Word 2013 and Windows 10.

Best regards, R. Audibert

• Edited by RAudibert Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:18 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:17 PM
  • Read Cindy's response, if you have not already solved this problem. Word does work, but not with the mouse. You can simulate a right click on your mouse by clicking on Shift + F10. Word did change that at some time in the past, and I've been frustrated about it ever since. The solution is actually quite simple. 

Regards, R. Audibert

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:22 PM
  • You're welcome :-)

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:53 PM
  • I am using word 2000.  up until two days ago, i could always use the mouse when recording a macro.  for not apparent reason the text icon has been replace by the cassette icon and now i cannot.  what did microsoft do behind my back.

kirt

Sunday, September 6, 2015 6:00 AM