Windows Store device app issue

Question

• I've just started to learn what exactly Windows Store device app is, by trying to run this sample solution.
    http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Windows-Store-device-app-10bf3e5e

Following the instruction, I've tried to run the [sample code + device metadata], the Windows Store device app, but I couldn't exactly make it as represented in the description.

Here's my simple test environment:
    - HP laptop (Folio 13) + Windows 8.1 Pro + Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate
    - Camera: internal WebCam (front-side) --> I want to make a test app binding with this webcam.

And the things what I did,
    - create the '63921eef-8415-4368-9201-f0df4af5778f.devicemetadata-ms' file using Device Metadata Authoring Wizard by referring the store device app info from the sample solution.
    - copy 'StoreManifest.xml' file to the sample C# project, 'DeviceAppForWebcam'.
    - uninstall webcam driver from 'Device Manager'
    - copy the devicemetadata-ms file to the local metadata storage (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataStore\en-US)
    - re-scan hardware from 'Device Manager'
    - build & run the sample store device app solution 'DeviceAppForWebcam'
    - build & run the sample store app solution for camera ''CameraOptionsUI"
    - select 'camera options' > 'more'

There's no errors but, I couldn't see new 'CameraOptionsUI' which should be applied.
    Anybody have a solution on this? or am I the only one has a problem?

Friday, June 13, 2014 8:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• I'll ask our hardware experts to check this out.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, June 16, 2014 1:30 PM
  • Thanks much in advance!
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:39 AM
  • Barney,

Do you have our white paper for accessing camera apps from a Windows Store App?  The process is a bit different than a typical Windows Store Device App.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30690

Best Regards - Eric

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:22 AM
  • Thanks Eric,

The document looks great, I'll try following the direction in the paper, first.

Previously, I'd tried to run this sample & follow the way depicted in the corresponding description section - http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Windows-Store-device-app-10bf3e5e

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:39 AM
  • Barney,

Does your camera work with the default camera store app?  Is so does it have all of its features in the default camera store app we ship with Windows?

Best Regards- Eric

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:46 AM
  • Eric,

Even I couldn't see all options as depicted in the sample Windows Store device app. So I suspect that there's something wrong connections between camera device and metadata, somehow.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:50 AM
  • Barney,You will need to follow the papers advice before things work properly.  However if your camera is special in any way such as a higher resolution etc than the default camera app exposes then we may need to take a different approach.

Best Regards - Eric

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:56 AM
  • Eric,

One quick question - I'm trying to run the store device app for test with just my laptop (we are not IHV or OEM for this device, but it's just my own laptop), in this case, should it be even worked properly?

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:58 AM
  • Barney,

Device apps are for IHVs and OEMs.  Is this something you would want to distribute and publish in the Windows Store or is it for research (1-5 machines only) or perhaps an embedded system that is not connected to the internet?   Would a device other than a camera work? 

Best Regards - Eric

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:05 AM
  • Eric,

Yes. After enough research on this task, we as an IHV/OEM expect that this Windows Store device app would be great way to distribute our own drivers and functionality, so we just want to understand first how it works, then estimate the efforts on this work.

If you could let me know your email or some contact point on this, I think we can communicate in better way.

Thanks much in advance.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:16 AM
  • Barney,

Posting email aliases on the forum does not work very well due to spam etc...  You could open up a support case and indicate that you are a developer writing a device driver or a windows store app and link to this post.  Then whoever received the case could reach out to me.  Otherwise it can be tough to discuss in a public forum... 

Best Regards - Eric

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:28 AM
  • Eric,

You are right, I'll be trying to contact by support menu by linking this thread. Thanks.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:33 AM
  • Thank You Barney!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:45 AM