Mirror looks to be working, but Error 1438 Severity 16 State 1 logged every 20 seconds in SQL errorlog on mirror RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a strange problem with the mirror instance of one of our databases,
    The mirroring seems to be working, however every 20 seconds or so the error

1438 Severity 16 State 1

The server instance Partner rejected configure request; read its error log file for more information. The reason 1460, and state 1, can be of use for diagnostics by Microsoft. This is a transient error hence retrying the request is likely to succeed. Correct the cause if any and retry.

is logged in the SQL server log on the mirror instance

The strange thing is that the mirroring seems to be working, while in all cases that i can find on this error this occured during configuration. and the mirroring fails

There is no coresponding error logged in the SQL server log on the principal
    Accordig a query on master.sys.database_mirroring on both the mirror and the principal the status of the mirror set is synchronised. There are 88 other databases mirrored the same way between the same instances, without problems. I related the problem to a specific database, when i  stop or pause the mirroring for this specific datbase the errors stop being logged I already removed the mirror database and recreated the mirror config for the database from scratch, but the errors just returned as soon the mirroring for the database was active again. It looks like there is no problem with the endpoints or the security configuration. (I already tried restarting the endpoints)

Configuration:
    Both SQL Server 2008R2 enterprise instances are build 10.50.2811, running on two node Windows 2008 R2 SP1 failover Clusters
    Mirroring Configuration is Async (Safety off) between Principal en Secondary, There is no Witness instance (we use mirroring to sync the databases between datacenters for disaster recovery and have no need for automatic failover), I even checked that there was no witness instance configured by mistake.

Rob Hagman.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hello Summer,

Thanks for your reaction, The thread your mention is about a similar error, however there is a significant difference with our issue.

The difference is mainly that in that case that thread the poster got the error during the set up of the mirror partnership and failed to configure the mirroring, while in my case, I was able to configure and start the mirroring for the database (status Synchronized), but the error is logged in the SQL Server error log every 20 Sec or so.

In the meantime Restarting the SQL Server Service for the mirror Instance as a workaround cleared the errors for now, but I like to know the cause for the issue so I can solve it permanently.

Rob Hagman.

Monday, January 27, 2014 8:06 AM
  • Hi Rob

Did you find a solution for this one?  I am experiencing exactly the same issue.  My instances are on 10.50.4000.  There are 101 other mirrored databases hosted on the mirror instance yet this is the only db having the issue.  I removed the mirror session for this database and blew the mirror away.  I restored the mirror up to the correct point so it could rejoin but when attempting to start the session the principal will go into the synchronizing state but the mirror will just stay in the restoring state and repetitively keep reporting the error below.  I have setup mirrors plenty of times and know I have done this correctly, there is something weird with this one database.  I do not want to restart my instance as I do not think this is a proper solution.  I have also tried restarting the endpoints.  Any ideas?

"The server instance Partner rejected configure request; read its error log file for more information. The reason 1460, and state 1, can be of use for diagnostics by Microsoft. This is a transient error hence retrying the request is likely to succeed. Correct the cause if any and retry."

Thank you

Rob N

Thursday, February 6, 2014 1:41 AM
  • Hi Rob N,

Not really, as I wrote earlier restarting the mirror instance cleared the errors for the database in question, but I agree with you that's just a workaround and not a proper solution,  which would involve knowing the cause and permanently solving the underlying issue.

Allas at this moment I'm not able to spend more time on this issue because it happened only once, but when it re-occurs I will start a problem investigation and budget more time to finding the cause  (Don't you love ITIL procedures).

Rob

• Edited by rhagman Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:37 AM
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:37 AM