none
Outlook 2013 + Hotmail addin error 0x8001010e 0x80040102 RRS feed

• Question

• With Hotmail account setup with Outlook 2013 I get two issues:

1) If I get message store from another thread I get error: 0x8001010e (RPC_E_WRONG_THREAD).

2) I can get past error #1 (i.e.: get message store in the same thread) but IMAPIFolder::CreateMessage fails with error: 0x80040102 (MAPI_E_NO_SUPPORT). I am attempting to create a message in a folder.

In Outlook 2010 you had to install a hotmail connector to make in order to add hotmail account in Outlook (it would ask you to install during setup). No matter that detail, it is working fine in the Outlook 2010. In fact if I configure pop3 or exchange account other than hotmail it works fine with Outlook 2013. So something tells me it's either a bug, as designed or usage change.

Can someone confirm what this could be? Is there a place to submit beta bug? Installed latest office preview last week.

Thanks in advance

Monday, August 20, 2012 9:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Does it matter which folder you are creating the message in?

Are you creating a regular or an associated message?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.3 is now available!

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:21 PM
  • I created the folder in the addin if it doesn't exist. I haven't tried other folders and I suspect it doesn't matter in this case.

Interestingly message is created  like this: CreateMessage(NULL, 0, ) to create an empty message. Then use CopyTo from another LPMESSAGE to duplicate the message and set some properties then call SaveChanges.

So is the usage correct. It works till Outlook 2010.

Thanks,

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:58 PM
  • Where is that folder relative to the Inbox folder?

Was the folder created by your code or through the Outlook UI?

Was it synched to the IMAP4 server before you attempt to create a message there?

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:40 AM
  • Folder is created along the same level as Inbox. This folder is created by the code. Although you are right that the folder is not synched to the server. When i created the folder manually it was immediately synched to the server. What's the code to do that?

Unfortunately even if I manually created the folder I still get 0x80040102 for CreateMessage.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Does Outlook let you create messages in that folder or drag messages there?

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:49 PM
  • If I create an email it goes under "Draft" folder immediately. If I drag this email it gives the same error I was getting - 0x80040102.

Error Dialog says: Cannot move the items. The folders you are trying to change do not support this operation. Could not complete the operation because the service provider does not support it.

If I drag an email from "Inbox" it works fine. So is there an alternative way to make a backup of the original email?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Why not add a standalone PST file and copy the mesages to that store?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Thanks for pointing this out. Actually my problem also exists with POP3.

Let's summarize:

1) Hotmail (activesync) or Pop3 you will get 0x8001010e while attempting to retrieve msg store using another thread

2) If issue #1 is resolved then an account using .pst data file works fine

3) Hotmail uses .ost file by default and it doesn't work (error: 0x80040102 ) in this scenario. I added a .pst file and everything is fine (with a twist). I can't remove .ost. If I do I can't send emails because it just stays in the outbox. The behavior is that .ost receives email and I can move the file to a folder under .pst file without issue. I am not sure if it's I am missing some steps to completely get rid of .ost file.

I am still looking for a more elegant solution than this .pst thing which will introduce usability issues but if this is as designed I haven't seen any information on this.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:11 PM
  • Hi workingmannc,

what you said are too abstract would you show me some snippet to reproduce it. I'm interesting with it:)

T.X.

志异征诛,三让两家王朝
    功同开辟,一桮万古江南

Saturday, August 25, 2012 3:06 AM
  • 1) create an hotmail account with outlook 2013 (prior version required Hotmail connector and it's also defaulting to .ost data but everything works fine)

2) create a folder in your message store (same level as inbox) I don't think it matters where you create the folder or it's related to a folder but that's just how I am testing it.

3) After you create the folder call IMAPIFolder::CreateMessage and you should get 0x80040102.

Rough pseudo code

MAPISession::OpenMsgStore

//get root folder here

rootFolder->CreateFolder(..., OPEN_IF_EXISTS | MAPI_UNICODE)

newFolder->SaveChanges(0)

newFolder->CreateMessage

Monday, August 27, 2012 3:12 PM
  • With Hotmail account setup with Outlook 2013 I get two issues:

1) If I get message store from another thread I get error: 0x8001010e (RPC_E_WRONG_THREAD).

2) I can get past error #1 (i.e.: get message store in the same thread) but IMAPIFolder::CreateMessage fails with error: 0x80040102 (MAPI_E_NO_SUPPORT). I am attempting to create a message in a folder.

In Outlook 2010 you had to install a hotmail connector to make in order to add hotmail account in Outlook (it would ask you to install during setup). No matter that detail, it is working fine in the Outlook 2010. In fact if I configure pop3 or exchange account other than hotmail it works fine with Outlook 2013. So something tells me it's either a bug, as designed or usage change.

Can someone confirm what this could be? Is there a place to submit beta bug? Installed latest office preview last week.

Thanks in advance

I am having the same issue, i cannot move messages to a folder created for a hotmail account
    Monday, August 27, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Great! ;)

I started the same thread here as well (hoping to get more help):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeitpropreview/thread/fe2dbc0c-5125-4dea-9c46-8d68d521c7d0

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:09 PM
  • From what I hear (don't quote me on this one), it is a known limitation to be addressed later... This is more of a Windows Live limitation than an Outlook one, so the fix might be nontrivial.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:11 AM
  • Sorry, I missed that reply when it appeared first. I should add that it's only happening in Outlook 2013 because in Outlook 2010 Hotmail (using hotmail connector) works fine with my code. From customer point of view I doubt they care what mechanism Microsoft is using behind the scene. One thing is clear it broke many 3rd party addins. Where can one log a bug against Microsoft for Outlook 2013? We are trying to save money for premium support.

Cheers

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:13 PM
  • It migth be better to use your premium support - MS is very much aware of this, so filing a bug won't do you much good. If on the other hand you will tell them that a few thousand users won't upgrade, that will attact a lot more attention.

Plus you won't be charged if this turns out ot be a bug in a Microsoft product.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Plus it's server side, and the Outlook team really can't do anything but ask for a fix.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "Dmitry Streblechenko _MVP_" <=?utf-8?B?RG1pdHJ5IFN0cmVibGVjaGVua28gX01WUF8=?=> wrote in message news:f8ed636b-e616-4e22-b6a8-8450a82886b4...

It migth be better to use your premium support - MS is very much aware of this, so filing a bug won't do you much good. If on the other hand you will tell them that a few thousand users won't upgrade, that will attact a lot more attention.

Plus you won't be charged if this turns out ot be a bug in a Microsoft product.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:29 PM