Deploying the cube RRS feed

• Question

• Dear mates,

How can I deploy a cube from Dev to Test to Production?

Currently, I am deploying using XMLA.

Generate XMLA script from the cube on Dev server

Drop the cube on Test/Production and execute XMLA script

The issue is, every small change in the cube, I need to drop and recreate and full process.

How can I generate XMLA for just changes and deploy only changes?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, September 1, 2016 10:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Rajkm

There are a few other ways see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174869.aspx

The simplest is probably the deployment wizard which will calculate the change set (Only the things that ar different between you development solution and the cube you are targeting).

There are a few options that will allow you to preserve the data\partitions and security roles.

• Marked as answer by Rajkm Thursday, September 1, 2016 12:22 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 10:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Rajkm

There are a few other ways see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174869.aspx

The simplest is probably the deployment wizard which will calculate the change set (Only the things that ar different between you development solution and the cube you are targeting).

There are a few options that will allow you to preserve the data\partitions and security roles.

• Marked as answer by Rajkm Thursday, September 1, 2016 12:22 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 10:44 AM
  • Hi Rajkm,

You can use a c# or vb script (script task in SSIS) .

You can also deploy the solution from the SSDT, althougth using one solution to many db's will need to get change for data source credentials and db, defaults and deploymrnt option .

There are changes in the db/dimensions/cube structure that will make you reprocess the db , with no matter the way you've deployed your changes .

Regards, David .

Thursday, September 1, 2016 10:48 AM
  • Actually u can create an Alter XMLA command from dev, cop yit and execute it on Prod:

In SSMS: Right mouse on Database -> Script Database as -> Alter to

• Edited by yger Thursday, September 1, 2016 11:06 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 11:05 AM