none
Is Microsoft getting rid of VSTO Add-ins RRS feed

• General discussion

• So "Apps for Office" is becoming "Office Add-ins. Last I checked their is already an "Office Add-ins" VSTO allows development of application level extensions for Office applications using managed (C#or VB.Net). Is Microsoft getting rid of these in favor of the web based solution? If not how will they deal with the naming conflict?
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 11:00 PM

All replies

• COM based addins are still very much supported. Web based addin API is not anywhere near the COM based API.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Monday, August 17, 2015 4:31 PM
  • So, won't the new namig bring about confusion?
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 12:32 AM
  • Yes, it will. Just like naming everything "Outlook" (from Outlook Express to outlook.com) caused a lot of confusion.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 1:28 AM
  • Hi James

Just to expand a bit on the discussion...

For the record, not only will VSTO (and other COM Add-ins) continue to be supported - on the desktop, only. Also VBA code will continue to be supported - again, on the desktop, only.

"Add-ins" has been a term used with Office even before VSTO, and even before the COM IDTExtensibility interface (on which VSTO bases) was introduced. It's also used for VBA templates that load "globally" in the application.

So the general term has had multiple meanings for over ten years (Office 2000) and is why Office devs have always referred to template add-ins, COM Add-ins and VSTO Add-ins. The real trick is everyone agreeing on a designation for the new APIs to differentiate them from the other kinds of Add-ins. Personally, I tend to use "Web Add-ins"...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:43 PM