Laptop goes to black screen after Windows Developer Preview then restarts.

Question

• Hi. I've had Win 8 Dev. Preview since it came out and have had no problems with it up until this week. When turning on it seems normal up until just after the the swirling circles have finished on the Windows Developer Screen, then it cuts to a blank black screen and doesn't do anything. When I leave it at this point it will restart after a few minutes, then when it reaches the same point it restarts again and again and again. I've tried a lot ,when I tried to refresh it, it told me to insert the installation media, and when I did it told me I didn't have enough room, I have altered the cmd to include safe mode ,yet that restarted when I tried it too. I have also gone to the effort of changing the registry to turn Windows Updates (I've had it on notify since after I updated it the first week) but even after changing permissions they were still deleted. I have also done shift+f8 and tried every option albeit disk checking but none of the did anything to change the outcome of restarting.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do or should I try to install windows 8 back on it?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the excessive writing.

• Edited by camchams Friday, November 25, 2011 11:46 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 11:39 PM

Answers

• BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @nettun.inf,%isatap.displayname%;Microsoft ISATAP Adapter 

Unless you know what that  nettun.inf   is or have an earlier  ntbtlog.txt  which shows that this is significant my guess would be that this isn't telling you much.   OTOH I just checked mine and have no instance of  any of this or any .inf in it.   Looks like it will have something to do with your networking support.   (E.g. dir/a/b/s nettun*  finds it.)

FWIW I have had to resort to using ProcMon's  Boot Logging  to try to diagnose my boot problem symptoms.   Unfortunately, that option doesn't persist and my problem symptoms are only sporadic so I haven't been able to capture anything useful yet, just enough to know that it happens long after the ntbtlog.txt  is finished its recording.

BTW usually when my problems happen I can press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get a prompt and get going again.   Is that possible with yours?   Maybe I just haven't waited long enough to see if mine is in a loop too.   Otherwise I would try detaching all unnecessary hardware, especially USB devices and in view of that  nettun.inf  clue, all comm hardware.

I think I saw someone else reporting a boot loop that might be closer to yours.   I will try to find a link to it for you.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/2d38f111-f3d4-4d35-8f0e-81978fbe99f3
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 4:43 PM

All replies

• Here's the bootlog if that helps.

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Version 6.2 (Build 8102)

11 25 2011 17:45:51.495

Have left the top out as they loaded and it's too long.

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mup.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\hwpolicy.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\disk.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\amdsbs.sys

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @nettun.inf,%6to4mp.displayname%;Microsoft 6to4 Adapter Everything after here didn't load

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @nettun.inf,%isatap.displayname%;Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @nettun.inf,%isatap.displayname%;Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Saturday, November 26, 2011 11:13 AM
  • BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @nettun.inf,%isatap.displayname%;Microsoft ISATAP Adapter 

Unless you know what that  nettun.inf   is or have an earlier  ntbtlog.txt  which shows that this is significant my guess would be that this isn't telling you much.   OTOH I just checked mine and have no instance of  any of this or any .inf in it.   Looks like it will have something to do with your networking support.   (E.g. dir/a/b/s nettun*  finds it.)

FWIW I have had to resort to using ProcMon's  Boot Logging  to try to diagnose my boot problem symptoms.   Unfortunately, that option doesn't persist and my problem symptoms are only sporadic so I haven't been able to capture anything useful yet, just enough to know that it happens long after the ntbtlog.txt  is finished its recording.

BTW usually when my problems happen I can press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get a prompt and get going again.   Is that possible with yours?   Maybe I just haven't waited long enough to see if mine is in a loop too.   Otherwise I would try detaching all unnecessary hardware, especially USB devices and in view of that  nettun.inf  clue, all comm hardware.

I think I saw someone else reporting a boot loop that might be closer to yours.   I will try to find a link to it for you.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/2d38f111-f3d4-4d35-8f0e-81978fbe99f3
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 4:43 PM