none
About the analytics used on the Microsoft dashboard for Windows Store....

General discussion

• Hi!

I have been searching for what makes an app go up on the Spotlight section of the store, and one of the reasons, among others, is the app usage. If your app is used more, it goes up more, it makes sense. But, I have been looking for my latest MyTrip package (1.0.1.53) for windows 8.1 analytics on the dashboard, and it looks like it is nearly used. But fortunatelly, I had google anlytics implemented on it and they say a totally different stats (and obviously I belive the latest):

For MyTrip in windows 8.1 for 23 December it says it was only used a 0.07 seconds? Creepy. For instance, google analytic says:

3.5 minutes! What a difference between 0.07.... I'm totally convinced that Google Analytics it's working fine, so.... why does the windows store dashboard show that unreallystic data? If this kind of data it's important for the algorithm to guess if the app deserves going up in the ranks... shouldn't it work fine? am I missing something? What do you think about ? thank for your time.

Fernando Urkijo Cereceda

• Edited by rita en pons Thursday, December 26, 2013 8:42 AM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 8:40 AM

All replies

• Over the past few months I've learned that, as a general rule of thumb, the dashboard is broken and you can't trust any of the data. Sorry to say. I've never had any data for app usage per day.

But MarkedUp analytics shows what of course appears to be accurate:

Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:51 PM
  • This is happening since the store was open... 

Fernando Urkijo Cereceda

Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:21 PM
  • The usage stats you get to see are only for users who agreed to participate in the customer experience improvement program. To be honest, I don't even know *how* to participate in the customer experience improvement program :-). Anyway, the majority of the users probably do not participate in it, so none of their usage stats are collected and shared with you. I'm sure this was in the introductory documentation somewhere, because I know I read it. BTW - if you're collecting data on users, be sure you disclose that to them in your privacy policy, otherwise you may be in legal trouble, but I am not a lawyer so don't take my advice as legal advice.

-Rob

Thursday, December 26, 2013 10:05 PM