Can I format some portions of my text box in my expression? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1654626721 posted

Hi Folks

I am fairly new to Asp.net and Very New to the Microsoft Report Viewer. I am creating a report and I have several paragraphs of text making up my document inside those paragraphs I have data from my database so its made up of static and data driven fields. I need to bold and under line some of my fields inside my expression. I tried creating several columns and putting in my fields in other columns and that does work however it doesn't look that great sometimes there are large gaps in my text between the static and the dynamic.

here is an example of one of about 14 paragrahs in my report.

="The Borrower hereby notifies MACED that it will use "& FormatCurrency(Fields!TotalAmount.Value) & " to fund the costs reflected in this Requisition No. " & Fields!pk_ReqID.Value & ". The above described loan proceeds will be used for the following purposes and in the following amounts:"

As you can see thats one large field I have it works great other than I need to bold and underline my Value and my date can this be done inside my expression in some way like FormatCurrency(Fields!TotalAmount.Value,"BOLD")

Thank you

Bill

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:27 PM

Answers

• User1471008070 posted

Hi Bill,

You have a good idea, but this function is not contained in Reporting Services expression, so to work around the issue, you could divide the textbox to select seperate textboxes, then set their format differently.

Such as first textbox :   ="The Borrower hereby notifies MACED that it will use"

Seconde textbox: =FormatCurrency(Fields!TotalAmount.Value), then set its format to BOLD utilize the toolbar on top of the design surface.

It is same to the following textbox. You could customize the textbox's property at your will.

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:09 AM
  • User-1654626721 posted

Hello

Thank you for your input. This is how I have it now with separte textboxes. However I have gaps in my paragraphs. I was hoping for a way to do it in my expression.

For example it may look like

The Borrower hereby notifies MACED that it will use         $9800.00           For upgrades.

Perhaps I can set the length of my text box programaticly to the data driven data.

Thanks

Bill

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:26 AM

All replies

• User1471008070 posted

Hi Bill,

You have a good idea, but this function is not contained in Reporting Services expression, so to work around the issue, you could divide the textbox to select seperate textboxes, then set their format differently.

Such as first textbox :   ="The Borrower hereby notifies MACED that it will use"

Seconde textbox: =FormatCurrency(Fields!TotalAmount.Value), then set its format to BOLD utilize the toolbar on top of the design surface.

It is same to the following textbox. You could customize the textbox's property at your will.

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:09 AM
  • User-1654626721 posted

Hello

Thank you for your input. This is how I have it now with separte textboxes. However I have gaps in my paragraphs. I was hoping for a way to do it in my expression.

For example it may look like

The Borrower hereby notifies MACED that it will use         $9800.00           For upgrades.

Perhaps I can set the length of my text box programaticly to the data driven data.

Thanks

Bill

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:26 AM