Azure Site Recovery protect SQL Server FCI with mirroring? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have issue about Azure site recovery protect SQL Server FCI in Standard Edition.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/site-recovery/site-recovery-sql

in the subject "Protect a SQL Server cluster (standard edition/Windows Server 2008 R2)"

i have Fail over cluster 2 node instance. and then, i need to setup additional standalone SQL Server instance and configure to mirroring in high safety mode.

for my question.

1. for additional standalone SQL Server instance can use edition license with Standard or i must upgrade to Enterprise? both SQL Server Fail over cluster 2 node instance and additional standalone SQL Server instance for mirroring?

2. How to configure mirroring in high safety mode for database mirroring from SQL Server Fail over cluster? because i want to replicate additional instance to Azure using site recovery replication.

Thank.

za_phu

• Edited by za_phu Tuesday, September 12, 2017 6:32 PM update information
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hi za_phu,

For the first question, do you mean the below scenario? In your scenario, you can use Standard edition for them, but there is a limitation for database mirroring, we can have only single thread and high safety mode only, single thread mentioned refers to that only one thread will be used by theREDO queue of database mirroring system.

For the second question, A SQL Server failover clustered instance appears on the network as if it were a single computer, you can crate database mirroring on it as normal.

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click &quot;Unmark as Answer&quot; if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Tuesday, September 26, 2017 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Hi Teige,

For failback considerations. requires SQL Server backup and restore, from the mirror instance to the original cluster. it's mean, i must backup SQL Database from SQL Mirroring and then restore to SQL Server Cluster right?

It's must take downtime for restore SQL Server Cluster too before restore data backup from SQL Mirror?

Thanks,

za_phu

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 4:59 AM