WinRT App Structure

Question

• When I was exploring the Developer Preview, I realized that WinRT Full-Screen apps are a completely barren field - by this I mean, it's extremely new, and nearly everything will have to be recreated to work in it. I could make an app that does this, an app that does that, or and app that does almost anything else and there will be next to no competition for the first half-year of sales. I eventually decided not to make a Metro app, but to make a tool that itself makes metro apps - games, mostly.

And that is the root of my question. The very first question that I need answered is, does it go against any EULAs for me to even attempt this? If so, then I'm sorry, and I won't make it. If so please help me get started on the right direction by answering the rest of my questions.

When Metro apps are compiled, they are converted to some sort of binary format that Windows 8 can execute natively. I know that it is not compiled into a .NET application, and so I can't understand why you are still allowed to use .NET framework libraries in your programs. Can somebody please clear this up for me?

Also, what do I compile the user's code into? E.g., what is the file format that compiled apps are in? Where are apps stored on the actual computer? And do I need to change any registry settings so that the start screen / Windows 8 will register my app?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon Slade

Thanks for your help!
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 11:23 PM

Answers

• @Brandon - I'm not sure why you think .NET apps aren't compiled into .NET :-) -- of course they are.  Native apps are compiled using the same C++ compiler as well.  HTML apps aren't "compiled" per se but are packaged and can interact with native and/or managed components.

I would suggest reviewing the BUILD conference sessions for more context on what the package contents are, etc.  Or better yet, build an app and examine the output :-)

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)
    • Marked as answer by Aboveyou00 Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:16 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:38 PM

All replies

• This thread was created in the Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions forum; the Microsoft Moderation team has moved this thread to the Tools for Metro Syle apps.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:13 AM
  • @Brandon - I'm not sure why you think .NET apps aren't compiled into .NET :-) -- of course they are.  Native apps are compiled using the same C++ compiler as well.  HTML apps aren't "compiled" per se but are packaged and can interact with native and/or managed components.

I would suggest reviewing the BUILD conference sessions for more context on what the package contents are, etc.  Or better yet, build an app and examine the output :-)

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)
    • Marked as answer by Aboveyou00 Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:16 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:38 PM