none
How to associate (link) an existing Windows Phone app to an existing Windows Store app in the current unified dashboard?

Question

• I have linked Windows Phone and Windows Store apps from the old Windows Phone dashboard, but I am unable to find how to do so in the new unified one. Alternatively, I have tried to reserve, for the Windows Phone app, the same name I already reserved for the corresponding Windows Store app. An "Unknown Windows Partner Failure" error message is displayed, though.

Thursday, August 27, 2015 7:23 PM

All replies

• Solved!

The bad news: There is and there will be no magic "Link your apps" button, just like in the old dashboard. If you check out the url  http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2015/05/01/get-ready-for-the-unified-dev-center-dashboard-preview-and-upcoming-store-changes under the section Action Recommended: Apps that are not linked, you will read this. "If you have apps in both the Windows and Windows Phone Stores today that are not linked, and you would like the apps to display as one app to customers viewing the store on Windows 10, you must link them now before your account is migrated."

I opened a Customer Support ticket and the answer was, in short: "I understand that you would like to link your Windows Phone and Windows Store app together. As it turns out since you did not link the apps before the migration you will not be able to now link the apps. That is the way the system is set up and there is no way to go around it."

The good news: there is a workaround. At least it solved my case.

Precondition: You have a Windows Phone and a Windows Store apps which share the same identity. They are versions of the same app. The Windows Store one has a reserved name, which was already mandatory. The WP version lacks the reserved name. You want to link both apps.

Solution: in short, release the reserved Windows Store name, reserve that name for the WP app and upload the Windows appx package to the WP app. You will lose the Windows Store history (ratings, reviews...) . You will keep the WP history, though.

If you need any assistance in the details of the procedure, please, don't hesitate to ask for it.

Monday, October 12, 2015 11:57 AM
  • Hi.

Could you please elaborate on your solution? I tried to release the Windows Store name by deleting the app from https://account.live.com/developers/applications/index, but that did not work and I got this message: "This application was created in the Windows Store, and cannot be deleted in the Microsoft services application management site."

I am also struggling to find a way to delete the app from the Dev Center dashboard.

Kind regards.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 5:03 PM