none
How do I deploy a Windows Store app on my friends computers? RRS feed

• Question

• If I create a Windows Store app (Metro app) and all it does is say "Hello Friends!" when the only button in the app is pressed. I just want my friends to run the application so what are my options?

1) Can I upload a simple applications like this to the Windows Store in the first place?
    2) Can I prevent anyone but my friends to get access to the app on Windows Store?
    3) Can the app be sideloaded on Windows 8 without a developer license (my friends aren't developers) or a sideloading product activation key (this is for personal home use). What about Windows RT - any differences there?

Friday, December 7, 2012 9:31 AM

Answers

• Not hard to answer:

1. You can try, but it probably will not be accepted due to triviality.

2. No.  The store is public

3. No.  You either need a developer license on the friend's machine or use the enterprise license.

What you can do is develop a desktop application using C#, VB or C++.  The app can be given to your friends without restriction.  Wnen installed, there will be a tile on the start screen that the friend can use to launch it.  What you won't be able to do in this scenario is to install on Win RT, have a live tile, use the Modern UI controls.  There will be tablets that run full Win 8.

• Edited by jrboddie Friday, December 7, 2012 1:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Marty78 Friday, December 7, 2012 2:38 PM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 1:45 PM

All replies

• Is this question really that hard to answer? It can't be that just enterprises are allowed to sideload applications. What's the point of having a tablet you can't create personal apps for unless you are an enterprise? It can't be that stupid? Please tell me it aint so.
    Friday, December 7, 2012 12:27 PM
  • Not hard to answer:

1. You can try, but it probably will not be accepted due to triviality.

2. No.  The store is public

3. No.  You either need a developer license on the friend's machine or use the enterprise license.

What you can do is develop a desktop application using C#, VB or C++.  The app can be given to your friends without restriction.  Wnen installed, there will be a tile on the start screen that the friend can use to launch it.  What you won't be able to do in this scenario is to install on Win RT, have a live tile, use the Modern UI controls.  There will be tablets that run full Win 8.

• Edited by jrboddie Friday, December 7, 2012 1:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Marty78 Friday, December 7, 2012 2:38 PM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Thanks for answering. I know that you can develop a desktop application without any distribution limitations. The question I had was for Windows Store (Metro) apps. I can't really understand the approach Microsoft has taken here then. It's not just enterprises that wants to be able to run personal "metro" apps not for public use and public accessibility.
    Friday, December 7, 2012 2:38 PM
  • So I read this as: No, No and No.

I've just started to look into writing an app for my handful of customers mobiles and I have to say I am shocked that I cant just deploy My app from My PC to a half dozen customer phones. 

I'm struggling to think of a really good reason why MS would do this to its potential developers.  It looks like I wont be able to enter this market, because I simply won't be able to justify the time/expense to get an app into the store for a half dozen people to use.

Friday, August 1, 2014 7:07 PM
  • So I read this as: No, No and No.

I've just started to look into writing an app for my handful of customers mobiles and I have to say I am shocked that I cant just deploy My app from My PC to a half dozen customer phones. 

I'm struggling to think of a really good reason why MS would do this to its potential developers.  It looks like I wont be able to enter this market, because I simply won't be able to justify the time/expense to get an app into the store for a half dozen people to use.

Phones are handled differently in the store. You can create a beta version of the app with a restricted list of users or hide the app in the store so only people that know the link can download it.

Saturday, August 2, 2014 7:48 PM