[solved] System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Unspecified error RRS feed

• Question

• User-1253389950 posted

I'm having the same problem, did anyone find a solution? Thanks.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:54 PM

Answers

• User-1199946673 posted

What I understood is that I should not link the FE with BE using linked tables, instead I should use VBA to run query on BE using ADO/DAO libraries to get the data required and disconnect.

Yes,. that is exactly what you should do

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, February 1, 2013 5:26 PM
  • User-1253389950 posted

Open the database as late as possible, close it as soon as possble

Many thanks hans_v for the tip. Just to update you and any one else visiting this thread.<o:p></o:p>

I reviewed all my asp codes and found a couple of DataReader and database connection that were not closed immediately. When I added the code to close them, the website/application has been working fine with no errors for a couple of weeks now.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks again and appreciate your help. Laughing<o:p></o:p>

Friday, February 15, 2013 8:25 AM

All replies

• User3866881 posted

I'm having the same problem, did anyone find a solution? Thanks.

Hi,

Your description is too generic……So what codes have you written?

At which statement the error is thrown out?

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:17 PM
  • User-1253389950 posted

Dear Dong,

Here is my problem, I have an Access2010 database split into FE&BE. BE is hosted on the server in a folder on drive E. Selected users have the FE on their PC to access the BE and do normal activities like inserting, updating and reporting. A web application done using ASP.net access the backend database for public users through the LAN.

Everything works fine, but sometimes for unkown reasons I get the error shown below, however, the FE does not get effect by this error.

If I don't do anything for 5 to 10 minutes, the web appliction somehow works ok and the error disappears. To do a quick fix, I open IIS and disable then enable windows authentication option and then the problem is solved right away.

Thanks for your support and help.

Server Error in '/' Application.

<div align="center">

</div>

Unspecified error

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Unspecified error

Source Error:

Line 6:  dim dbconn,sql,dbcomm,dbread

Line 7:  dbconn=New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=e:\db\TIM1.0_be.accdb;Persist Security Info=False;")

Line 8:  dbconn.Open()

Line 9: 

Line 10:

Source File: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\2013\tmp\Visitors.aspx    Line: 

Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x80004005): Unspecified error]

Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Container.InvokeMethod(Method TargetProcedure, Object[] Arguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, BindingFlags Flags) +202

Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.CallMethod(Container BaseReference, String MethodName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, BindingFlags InvocationFlags, Boolean ReportErrors, ResolutionFailure& Failure) +150

Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateCall(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn) +178

ASP.eoeg2013_tmp_visitors_aspx.Page_Load() in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\2013\tmp\Visitors.aspx:8

System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.ArglessFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o) +8

System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +8672611

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

<div align="center">

</div>

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4214; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4209

Monday, January 28, 2013 1:55 PM
  • User3866881 posted

Hi,

Have you deployed this on IIS?Do you wanna make Access db shared by many customers?

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:17 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Selected users have the FE on their PC to access the BE and do normal activities like inserting, updating and reporting.

Most likely, tha FE is not build to only open the  database connection, execute some queries and then close the connection as soon as possible. When a user opens the FE, the .laccdb lock file is created and will be there untill all FE's are closed normally. This is the reason many peoople give Access a bad name, because this is the wrong way to use Access in a multi user environemnt.

When you want to use Access in a mutliuser environment, you must open the database connection a late as possible, perform the SQL and close it as soon as possible. Always make sure the connection is closed properly, by adding error_handling to your code. In ASP.NET, you can use the Using syntax to make sure the connection is always closed and disposed, even without adding error handling

http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article/26/Parameter-Queries-in-ASP.NET-with-MS-Access

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:08 AM
  • User-1253389950 posted

Dear hans_v

Do you mean that I should not use Access database for web applications and FE users at the same time?

Thanks,

Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:26 PM
  • User3866881 posted

Do you mean that I should not use Access database for web applications and FE users at the same time?

for multiple users, you'd better use SQL instead.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:09 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Yes you can, But when you build an Access Application using all the build in wizards, and create an frond and backend databasem, you; re asking for trouble, even when you don't want to use the data in a web application. Acces can be used as a database in multi user environments but you need to build it just like you build a web application. Open the database as late as possible, close it as soon as possble. Only use action query's to modify or delete data, only use disconnected recordsets....

Friday, February 1, 2013 6:56 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

A web application is multo used, I've build many multi user applications (Windows, web and a combination of both) with Access without any problems. You only need to know how to use the tools that are avalable. In Access, that means that you don't use the build in wizards but you need to write ALL data access code in VBA

Friday, February 1, 2013 7:02 AM
  • User-1253389950 posted

Open the database as late as possible, close it as soon as possble. Only use action query's to modify or delete data, only use disconnected recordsets....

Thanks hans_v,

What I understood is that I should not link the FE with BE using linked tables, instead I should use VBA to run query on BE using ADO/DAO libraries to get the data required and disconnect.

Friday, February 1, 2013 7:44 AM
  • User-1253389950 posted

Thanks Dong,

I'm pretty sure that SQL is a better option, but I would like to keep it as my last option.

Friday, February 1, 2013 7:46 AM
  • User3866881 posted

hans_v

Hello;)

But as far as I see, Access db should be set to "Shared" with some specific connection string, otherwises it will be only single taken by someone.

And what's more, compared with SQL, Access isn't easy to control with problems such as concurrency……

So if possible, SQL Express is still a good choice.

Friday, February 1, 2013 8:04 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Friday, February 1, 2013 5:26 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

But as far as I see, Access db should be set to "Shared" with some specific connection string, otherwises it will be only single taken by someone.

No, it is possible to have multiple connection to an Access database. The problems occur when a user opens a recordset, then one or more tables get locked.

And what's more, compared with SQL, Access isn't easy to control with problems such as concurrency……

Why not? Simply add a column with a guid. When you update the record change this value to a new column, In the wher clause clause of the update of delete command, you just need to check if this column ihas still the same value. If not, someone else has changed the record after you last retrieved it!

So if possible, SQL Express is still a good choice.

Of course, but I still like to work with Access too. The big advantage is that it works on every windows computer (when using mdb files), without the need to install anything.

Friday, February 1, 2013 5:37 PM
  • User3866881 posted

The problems occur when a user opens a recordset, then one or more tables get locked.

Yes, that's the problem.

Compared with this, I think SQL can let us access the table parallely without locking the table.

Of course, but I still like to work with Access too. The big advantage is that it works on every windows computer (when using mdb files), without the need to install anything.

Haha……But just a reminder to OP——If you haven't installed something about Access,maybe he/she has to install Office Access components such as this:

For Access 2003 or below:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21373

For Access 2010:http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=13255

And Access2003's connection string is quite different from that of Access2007/2010:

You can see this:

http://www.connectionstrings.com/

Friday, February 1, 2013 8:38 PM
  • User-1253389950 posted

Many thanks hans_v, I'll modify the FE as so, apperciate you help.

Saturday, February 2, 2013 3:35 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Haha……But just a reminder to OP——If you haven't installed something about Access,maybe he/she has to install Office Access components such as this:

And is this according to the license?

But to use a mdb file as a database, you don't need anything, except the OleDb 4.0 driver, which is installed on any Windows System (desktop or Server). Using a Access 2007 or higher database file needs the ACE driver, whicg isn't installed by default. But there's no real advantage using an accdb file over a mdb file (or do I miss something?), so I always use mdb files.

Saturday, February 2, 2013 4:45 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Compared with this, I think SQL can let us access the table parallely without locking the table.

Yes, Sql Server will most likely handle that. But fo you consider this a good practice? The advantage of using Access that it more or less forces you to use good practices, otherwise you'll have problems. If you can work with Access, you can work with other databases as well.

Saturday, February 2, 2013 4:50 PM
  • User3866881 posted

hans_v

Hi again,

It seems that you are an expert in Access, thanks for tipping;)

Saturday, February 2, 2013 7:39 PM
  • User-488128029 posted

hans_v

Decker Dong - MSFT

Yes, Sql Server will most likely handle that. But fo you consider this a good practice? The advantage of using Access that it more or less forces you to use good practices, otherwise you'll have problems. If you can work with Access, you can work with other databases as well.

SQL Server can definitely access data without locking the rows.

http://www.mollerus.net/tom/blog/2008/03/using_mssqls_nolock_for_faster_queries.html

However, remember you still do need locking if you're accessing data that changes often (for example, people are adding orders every 3-4 seconds and you want to run a report on all orders)

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:51 AM
  • User-1253389950 posted

Open the database as late as possible, close it as soon as possble

Many thanks hans_v for the tip. Just to update you and any one else visiting this thread.<o:p></o:p>

I reviewed all my asp codes and found a couple of DataReader and database connection that were not closed immediately. When I added the code to close them, the website/application has been working fine with no errors for a couple of weeks now.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks again and appreciate your help. Laughing<o:p></o:p>

Friday, February 15, 2013 8:25 AM