Should Delete WiFi Connection Work?

Question

• I'm having trouble with one particular WiFi connection.  I'd like to get rid of it and start over.  I tried right-clicking on the connection (in settings | networks) and selecting Delete but the connection still appears on the (settings | networks) list afterwards. 

I did notice that right-click didn't bring up a context menu after I "deleted" the connection so perhaps it is partly deleted and partly not?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:07 AM

Answers

• I had hoped for an authoritative answer but I'll settle for my guess that Remove connection profile does what it ways but does not remove the SSID from the list visible via settings.
    • Marked as answer by Frank Boyne Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:57 PM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:57 PM

All replies

• Hey Frank,

Sorry to hear your having trouble deleting your WiFi connection.  Try restarting the wlansvc service on your machine to see if that clears up the ghost Wifi connection.  Here are the steps to accomplish that:

1) From the Metro UI, begin typing "command prompt" and you will see that search has found the command prompt for you.

2) Right click Command Prompt, a check mark will appear, then click on Advanced at the bottom right of your screen and choose "Run as administrator" from the menu

3) Click yes to accept the UAC prompt.

4) At the prompt type net stop wlansvc and press Enter, then type net start wlansvc and press Enter.

After you've completed that, check and see if the ghost WiFi connection is still there.  Reply with your results.

Regards,

Gary

Gary Miller | Escalation Engineer | Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3) One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA, 98052 USA http://support.microsoft.com
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:07 PM
    Answerer
  • First a correction: In my original post I said I selected Delete.  Reading more carefully I'm selecting "remove connection profile".

After following your instructions, the connection is still there.  If I use the digitiser pen to hover over the connection, the tooltip "Security Type: WPA2" is displayed (which is the correct value).

On the other hand the connection does not appear in the output from netsh wlan show profile so something was deleted. 

Perhaps I'm thinking about this the wrong way?  If touching the Settings | Networks icon shows a list of SSID's currently visible, then maybe I shouldn't expect the entry to disappear when I select Remove Connection Profile? 

• Edited by Frank Boyne Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:39 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:39 PM
  • I had hoped for an authoritative answer but I'll settle for my guess that Remove connection profile does what it ways but does not remove the SSID from the list visible via settings.
    • Marked as answer by Frank Boyne Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:57 PM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:57 PM