Rational ClearCase and Visual Studio 2008 Support RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Anyone knows how to utilize Rational ClearCase source control with Visual Studio 2008?

Any updates from Rational or Microsoft on this compatibilty issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Monday, November 26, 2007 3:08 AM

Answers

• > In short, VS2008 cannot work with Rational ClearCase 7?

Most likely it can. For this to work the Clearcase pacakge needs to be registered with VS2008, too. I assume the installer you have only registers the package for VS2005. To get an updated installer or get instructions for manually registering the package you should contact IBM.

Alin

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:32 PM

All replies

• Well, that depends on what version of ClearCase you're using...

Older versions were integrating MSSCCI interface, and for the scc integration in VS the primary contact was Microsoft. To my knowledge things were working fine even in VS2002.

Newer versions of CC (since VS2005) are using VSIP scc integration, and the primary contact for this should be IBM - with VSIP the scc provider completely owns the way it integrates with VS and all the UI.

Alin

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks fo the reply.

What MSSCCI means? What VSIP means?

I'm using Rational ClearCase 7.0 currently and using VS2005.

It there any chance of using Rational ClearCase 7.0 with Visual Studio 2008?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:53 AM
  • Visual Studio supports two types of source control integration options

-  MSSCCI (Microsoft SourceCode Control interface) scc providers (called by MSDN Source Control Plug-ins) are dlls implementing a set of scc-related functions with limited functionality; the source control UI is provided by VisualStudio.

- VSIP scc providers are VisualStudio packages implementing source control interfaces, which enables the package to bypass the default source control UI hosted by Visual Studio, respond to source control requests from the project system, and interact with Visual Studio components such as SolutionExplorer.

For more information on them see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb165323(VS.80).aspx

Clearcase 7 is a VSIP scc provider (http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=swg21252437)

That means Clearcase controls everything that is source control related in VS (the user interface, the access to the server, tracking what files/projects are under scc, etc) - IBM should provide support for their package and a way to register their package with VS2008.

Alin

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:01 AM
  • Thanks for the detailed reply.

I really appreciate your clarification.

In short, VS2008 cannot work with Rational ClearCase 7?

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:05 PM
  • > In short, VS2008 cannot work with Rational ClearCase 7?

Most likely it can. For this to work the Clearcase pacakge needs to be registered with VS2008, too. I assume the installer you have only registers the package for VS2005. To get an updated installer or get instructions for manually registering the package you should contact IBM.

Alin

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:32 PM
  • There is a post on the Rational forums where 2 of us have asked about this. However no one from IBM has responded as of when I post this dispite it being a few days.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.

A similar thread esixted in Rational Forums here.

Thanks, Bobcary!

I guess we have to wait for further news from Rational on the ClearCase Integration or Support with Visual Studio 2008.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:02 AM
  • On the above mention forums, there is a user that has posted a work around that worked for me.

Monday, December 3, 2007 2:52 PM
  • Thanks, Bobcary!

Happy to hear that there is an "unofficial" alternative.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 12:06 AM
  • FYI:

VS 2008 is officially supported by IBM now for both ClearCase and ClearQuest.   See below.

The following download and flash was just released to provide support for the integration between ClearCase, CCRC, ClearQuest & Visual Studio 2008:

DOWNLOAD: Integrate ClearCase, CCRC and ClearQuest 7.0.1 with Visual Studio 2008 - 4017991 http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=984&uid=swg24017991

FLASH: Visual Studio 2008 support with ClearCase, CCRC and ClearQuest 7.0.1 - 1292692 http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=984&uid=swg21292692

The System Requirements for ClearCase 7.x has also been updated. http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=984&uid=swg21239315

--Rolf Nelson Change and Releases Management IBM Rational Software
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 7:23 PM