none
Preparing network adapters for Hyper-V Live Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm experimenting with setting up a Failover Cluster and Hyper-V Live Migration, using TWO nodes.  I'm a little confused as to how exactly to set up the network adapters and networks.  I've seen most places online refer to needing 4 networks and some who say that 3 are enough.  For example, from Hyper-V: Live Migration Network Configuration Guide :

"Network adapters . For each node of the failover cluster, use more than one network adapter and configure at least one network adapter for the private network. We recommend that you configure separate dedicated networks with gigabit or faster speed for live migration traffic and cluster communication, and these networks should be separate from the network used by the management operating system, and from the network used by the virtual machines. For information about the network traffic that can occur on a network used for Cluster Shared Volumes, see “Understanding redirected I/O mode in CSV communication” in Requirements for Using Cluster Shared Volumes in a Failover Cluster in Windows Server 2008 R2 (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=182153)...

Each node must also have a network adapter that carries Cluster Shared Volumes communication. Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks must be enabled in the network adapter properties to support SMB, which is a requirement for Cluster Shared Volumes..."

But what does this then translate to?  How many actual physical ports/cables?  What I've done so far, is the following:

• Public Network 1 (one cable from each node connected to the main switch)
    • Private Network 1 (one crossover cable connecting two nodes directly to each other, using different subnet)
    • Public Network 2 (one cable from each node connected to the main switch)

The "public network 2" is used as a Hyper-V "virtual switch" to provide network connectivity for all of the VMs.

However, in Failover Cluster Manager, i only see two networks: the public network 1, and private network 1.

From what I've been reading, the cluster should use the private network for both the cluster heartbeat and live migration , correct?  How do I set this up in failover cluster manager?

I'm new to all of this, and I'd like to make sure that cluster communication and live migration do not go over the public networks.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:08 PM

All replies