product catalog architecture RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am designing a product catalog to display in lightswitch.

I can not find an example of this in the beginner guides so asking here some questions.
    I have an azure db and need to distribute the lightswitch app to remote clients.

1. What is the best way to show products based on a product category, are there any example of this where user selects category to find products ?

2. What is the recommended way to store and show images in lightswitch for product catalogs containing hundreds or thousands of images, storing in db seems to heavy, is there a way to store images using azure file storage and display with lightswitch, anyone done this ? 

many thanks

Andy

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Andy,

1. What is the best way to show products based on a product category, are there any example of this where user selects category to find products?

I think the best way depends on your application. But to do what you want:

1. Add a screen based on Products. Then Edit the Products Query on the screen and add a filter based on Category's ID.
    2. Add a local screen property of type Category.
    3. Bind the CategoryID parameter from query in step (1) above to the Category's ID in step (2) above.
    4. Drag / drop the Category in step (2) to the screen and bind it to a Modal Picker.

Here's an example with Northwind's Categories and Products if you're interested (in both Silverlight and HTML). Category And Product Sample

2. What is the recommended way to store and show images in lightswitch for product catalogs containing hundreds or thousands of images, storing in db seems to heavy, is there a way to store images using azure file storage and display with lightswitch, anyone done this ? 

Best regards,
    Huy

Sunday, May 12, 2013 5:02 AM