Retry on SFTP send Adapter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a scenario where I am sending the EDI file via SFTP adapter to external partner.

On the SFTP port configuration I have set Retry count=3 for every 5 mins.

This send port I have configured on Agreement to specify which agreement to use for outbound EDI's.

whenever I am sending invalid EDI file(few Mandatory Fields are missed), I could see error in the event viewer showing the exact reason for failure. and The port is retrying to send the same message hence I could see 3 errors on the event viewer.

My assumption was--Retry works only in case of Communication failure but here it is behaving differently.

Can somebody explain how it is behaving like this.

Thanks & Regards,

Ammu.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 12:35 PM

All replies

• Retry on the Send Port do NOT distinguish between technical and functional errors. 

You are absolutely correct, that if the error has to do with an invalid message, the Send Port could retry from now on and until Christmas eve, without ever succeeding, but that's just how BizTalk behaves.

Morten la Cour

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:16 PM
  • What you are seeing is the expected behavior.

Within the Messaging Agent, the entire Send Port operation must be successful and the scope of that operation is any Outbound Map, the Pipeline and Transmit Adapter.  Any failure at any step will cause the entire operation to roll back for Retry.

At that point, what is being Retried is the entire Send Port operation starting with the Message from the MessageBox so any failure cause by data in the message will just happen again.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:53 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks a lot ,Its really helpful.

Just want to understand few things here, Please let me know

1) In a send port if any custom pipeline component failed (Un handled exception occurs) how the send port behaves? what is the role of Retry logic work here?

Thanks & Regards,

Ammu.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:38 PM
  • It doesn't matter what fails or how.  Any Exception that is raised to the Messaging Agent, unhandled, handled then rethrown, custom doesn't matter, will cause the entire Port operation to retry.

There is no way to just retry just the Transmit.

• Marked as answer by Ammu_Biz Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:07 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ammu_Biz Thursday, March 19, 2015 6:33 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:58 PM
  • Hi John

It is not behaving the way u have explained in the above.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 6:34 PM
  • Ok, what exactly does that mean. How exactly is it behaving?
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 6:37 PM
  • Hi Ammu,

Whenever any failure occurs at the send port in any stage, End point manager suspends the send port and performs retry operation. 

Which means it will again subscribe message from messageboxdb and perform all the execution again.. which will include pipeline, outbound map if any and adapter.

Let us know if you still have any query.

Thanks,
    Prashant
    ----------------------------------------
    Please mark this post accordingly if it answers your query or is helpful.

Friday, March 20, 2015 3:14 PM