EWS Meeting Resource problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm working on Exchange EWS project and I have a problem with adding Resources to meeting (CalendarItemType).
    Problem is that resources I try to add don't have email.
    So here is the error I'm getting from EWS:
    ResponseCode: ErrorMissingInformationEmailAddress
    MessageText: EmailAddress or ItemId must be included in the request.

EmailAddressType res = new EmailAddressType();
    res.Name = appointment.ResourceCollection[i].Name;

In other words, can I add a resource to CalendarItemType without email?

Thank you.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:26 PM

Answers

• Exchange and Outlook need an email address to invite anything or anyone to a meeting, and needs a mailbox in order to display free/busy information for that entity.  Although such an entity may be able to be added via MAPI props to a meeting, it will not be considered as part of the calendar work-flow as mentioned above.  The best solution from Exchange's point of view is to create a resource mailbox for that existing AD object in the management console/shell - then we will automatically make it a resource when invited.

So to answer your question, EWS does not directly provide a way to add an entity to a meeting that does not have an email address.

Special thanks to Dana Birkby for helping with the answer :)

David Sterling | Microsoft Exchange Web Services | http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/10724.aspx
    • Marked as answer by TosicB Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:12 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:57 PM

All replies

• Anyone?

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:29 AM
  • You should be able to have non sendable resources see the PidLidNonSendableBcc property in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc425490.aspx whether this will work in EWS not sure ?

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:10 AM
  • Hi Glen,

Thanks for answering.
    I couldn't find any useful data in that link regarding EWS.

Do you have any other hints?

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:40 PM
  • Exchange and Outlook need an email address to invite anything or anyone to a meeting, and needs a mailbox in order to display free/busy information for that entity.  Although such an entity may be able to be added via MAPI props to a meeting, it will not be considered as part of the calendar work-flow as mentioned above.  The best solution from Exchange's point of view is to create a resource mailbox for that existing AD object in the management console/shell - then we will automatically make it a resource when invited.

So to answer your question, EWS does not directly provide a way to add an entity to a meeting that does not have an email address.

Special thanks to Dana Birkby for helping with the answer :)

David Sterling | Microsoft Exchange Web Services | http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/10724.aspx
    • Marked as answer by TosicB Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:12 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Hi David,

I was afraid of this answer :-(

I appreciate your help.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:12 PM