Automatic checkout of word document RRS feed

• Question

• We keep all our artifacts in TFS including requirements like Word documents.  We consider Sharepoint useless because it doesn't do version control integration with TFS.

Would like to automatically check out a word document when it is opened from VS.  Is that possible?  Looks like TFS doesn't automatically checkout files for some file types.  How it determines what files, I don't know.

Just a pain to be editing a file for 30 minutes and then trying to save it and you find out it's in readonly.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Here are some instructions for how to enable versioning on TFS SharePoint portal.

http://my2centsontfs.blogspot.com/2012/11/enabling-versioning-on-tfs-sharepoint.html

I will let know the automatic checkout as well.

Regards,
    Adhi
    My TFS Blog
    Please remember to mark as answered, if this reply helps

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:35 PM
  • Thanks, but that doesn't allow you to tie the sharepoint versioning into TFS.  For example if you wanted to get the documents that were current for a release you can't do it, because sharepoint and TFS don't share the same repository or versioning tags.

What I really want is how to automatically check out a word (binary) file.

• Edited by chuck02323 Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:55 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Hi chuck,

Thank you for your post.

There is a check out automatically setting for TFS version control, but in my opinion, it only works for files created in VS, for word document, you need to check out the file manually.

You can submit a feedback to Visual Studio UserVoice site (http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio).

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Thanks,

Unfortunately the Visual Studio UserVoice is useless.  Just look at the VS12 UI or the fact that TFS still doesn't have an API for creating projects or setting security settings.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

By "API for creating projects or setting security settings", can you provide more information?

What kind of projects you want to create?

What security you want to set?

Is the API relate to check out word document automatically in TFS version control?

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Friday, November 30, 2012 3:14 AM
  • I work in a big company, so I have to create TFS projects all the time.  It takes forever to create the project and set all the permissions in  TFS, sharepoint, and report server.  Can't use the TFS admin tool because of the security problems it has.  Just saying the TFS and VS teams never listen to anything people put in for suggestions.  People have asked for the basic TFS api since the first version.
    Monday, December 3, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Microsoft team according to the vote result plan their product backlog. The most hottest issue will put on the highest level priority. I still suggest you submit your requirement to Visual Studio UserVoice site (http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio), let Microsoft engineers know your requirement.

Regards,

Lily Wu
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:32 AM
  • Add some color to Visual Studio 2012 

12,186 votes, haven't seen any changes in the last vs update.

I really think they don't care about what end users need or want or their managers don't let them work on what end users want or need.

• Edited by chuck02323 Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:45 PM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Hi chuck,

About set color in VS, there is a VS 2012 Color Theme Editor extension to support customize colors for menus, toolbars, tabs, text editor, and other environment colors. For detail information, you can refer to http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/366ad100-0003-4c9a-81a8-337d4e7ace05

Regards,

Lily Wu
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:30 AM