none
Media center RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everybody. I'm new to the subject, I actually found some videos on Windows Embedded 7 on YouTube and got very interested. What I want is to buy a computer for storing all my music and films in one media center, connected via wi-fi to other computers I use in my house, to plasma tv and to stereo system. I really liked the interface of Windows Embedded 7. Is it possible to buy a storage computer without monitor, install Windows Embedded 7 on it, get some touch screen dysplay connected and use the whole thing the way I expressed? Or did did I get it all wrong? Hope somebody can clear things for me.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:55 AM

All replies

• Windows Embedded Standard 7 lets you build an OS image for different emebdded system like a media storage device. Unless, there is an electronic manufaturer that has already built a system. WES7 allows you to build your own on a PC platform of your choosing.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Windows Embedded 7 is the full Windows 7 operating system with the ability to select features for installation and some embedded extension add-ons.  One of the selectable features is Media Center components.  You can use the Windows Embedded 7 runtime installation to select which features get installed on the OS image.  This allows you to create, for instance, a Set Top Box with only the needed components.  The biggest issue for you is a license.  I don't know that you can buy a personal WES7 license for you to install onto a personal machine.  We deal with OEM licenses for our products and I've never tried to buy a license for personal use.  You'd really be better off just buying a full Windows 7 license and removing or disabling features you don't want.  The WES7 runtime installation gives you a trial 180 day license.  After that time, it will shut down on you.

Hope this helps.

why do you robot?
    Monday, June 13, 2011 3:27 PM