Starting a new workflow subsequently starts another in an older item. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a workflow that was passed on to me.  It has already been created and I am now testing it.  The error that I seem to be running into is odd and I can't figure out what is causing it.

When I create a new item in the list for the workflow (i.e. Test for Financial Approval) it creates the item and starts the workflow, but it also starts up a new workflow in an older item in the list.  If you look at both items they both have an In Progress status for the workflow I am testing.

There is another problem that goes along with the one above.  The first step in the workflow is an approval from a SharePoint group.  The workflow is supposed to send out an email requesting for the user to sign off on the request.  This email gets sent out, but not for the new item I created.  It sends out the approval email for the older item where the second workflow started.

Any help in fixing this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:24 PM

Answers

• Ya that right but If anchor tag is not closed Properly then It won't work.

Second thing I will suggest is that get email body content in variable & log into the workflow log history. Check the url constructed properly.?

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:53 AM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is this workflow an OOTB workflow or designer workflow or created with VS?

How did this workflow was designed? You can check if the workflow has any action to update another item which may start a new workflow instance on another item. Also what if you create a new item again, does the workflow still send email for the same old item? If so, please check if the email content was customized to send approval email for that item only.

Thanks.

Pengyu Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:25 AM
  • The workflow was created with SharePoint Designer and I do not see any actions that would update any other item.

In regards to the email, I actually receive 2 emails each time an item is created.  Both emails refer to the older item, but upon further inspection, 1 links to the new item, while the other links to the old.

Opening up the workflow, there is a step to get a parent id where Variable:PID is set to Change Request:ID, where change request is the name of the list.  This is then used in the email content within the link to the item.  The email is as follows:

A Change Request requires your approval.  Please follow this link to review [%Change Request: Created By%]'s <a href="http://...../Lists/Change%20Request/DispForm.aspx?ID=[%Variable:PID%]&Source.....>[%Change Request:Title]<a/>

Then follow this link to <a href="http://......../Workflows/BWSIS%20CR%20Workflow/Finance%20Approval%20Required.aspx?.....ID=[%Change Request Tasks:ID%]&Source...>sign off</a> on the request.

The title and the link will direct you to the old item in both emails, but the sign off link will take you to the new item in one email and the old in the other.

• Edited by BigBrown1135 Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:35 PM missing % in front of Variable:PID
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:04 PM
  • I hope there is no type mistake? could you please validate below in the workflow -

Please follow this link to review [%Change Request: Created By%]'s <a href="http://...../Lists/Change%20Request/DispForm.aspx?ID=[Variable:PID%]&Source.....>[%Change Request:Title]<a/>

It should be -

Please follow this link to review [%Change Request: Created By%]'s <a href="http://...../Lists/Change%20Request/DispForm.aspx?ID=[Variable:PID%]&Source.....>[%Change Request:Title]</a>

And one more thing I wanted to ask you is -

=[%Change Request Tasks:ID%]

Is this newly created Item ID i.e Task ID ?

Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:15 PM
  • The Change Request Task is another list where each task that needs to be completed, (i.e. Financial Approval, IT Work Estimate, IT Approval, etc.).  The second link works, in 1 of the emails it directs you to the financial approval for the old item where the new, second workflow is created and in the other email it directs you to the financial approval for the new item.

It doesn't look like anything has changed in the second part you posted, but the email content says [%Variable:PID%] and not [Variable:PDI%].

Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Ya that right but If anchor tag is not closed Properly then It won't work.

Second thing I will suggest is that get email body content in variable & log into the workflow log history. Check the url constructed properly.?

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:53 AM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:43 PM