none
U-SQL - invalid dataroot, path length is limited to 77 characters

Question

• All,

I was trying to submit the U-SQL job locally but I keep getting this error. "invalid dataroot, path length is limited to 77 characters". The U-SQL code I'm trying to submit is the sample code:

@searchlog = 

EXTRACT UserId          int, 
                Start           DateTime, 
                Region          string, 
                Query           string, 
                Duration        int, 
                Urls            string, 
                ClickedUrls     string
        FROM "/SearchLog.tsv"
        USING Extractors.Tsv();

OUTPUT @searchlog 
        TO "/SearchLog_output.tsv"
        USING Outputters.Tsv();

The dataroot folder is "C:\USQLDataRoot". Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

rgn

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 5:54 AM

Answers

• Hi rgn,

Usually you get this error message, when you there is no input file exist in the DataRoot folder.

During U-SQL Local Execution the inputs/outputs must all be on your own box. There's a special name for this location: The U-SQL Local Data Root.

You can find the local data root by going to Tools > Data Lake > Options and Settings. It in the field called DataRoot at the top.

Download the SearchLog.tsv file into the Local Data Root from here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Azure/usql/master/Examples/Samples/Data/SearchLog.tsv

Kindly place “SearchLog.tsv” file here: "C:\Users\Azure\AppData\Local\USQLDataRoot\Samples\Data"

Now paste the following script in to the Script.usql window.

Click Submit.

Visual Studio will show the Job Graph window and a Console window will open. The script should run successfully.

After the script completes, look in the Local Run Data Root folder, you should see a file called “SearchLog-first-u-sql.csv".

Congratulations, you've run your first U-SQL script!  

Hope this helps.

Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:57 PM

All replies

• Hi rgn,

Usually you get this error message, when you there is no input file exist in the DataRoot folder.

During U-SQL Local Execution the inputs/outputs must all be on your own box. There's a special name for this location: The U-SQL Local Data Root.

You can find the local data root by going to Tools > Data Lake > Options and Settings. It in the field called DataRoot at the top.

Download the SearchLog.tsv file into the Local Data Root from here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Azure/usql/master/Examples/Samples/Data/SearchLog.tsv

Kindly place “SearchLog.tsv” file here: "C:\Users\Azure\AppData\Local\USQLDataRoot\Samples\Data"

Now paste the following script in to the Script.usql window.

Click Submit.

Visual Studio will show the Job Graph window and a Console window will open. The script should run successfully.

After the script completes, look in the Local Run Data Root folder, you should see a file called “SearchLog-first-u-sql.csv".

Congratulations, you've run your first U-SQL script!  

Hope this helps.

Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:57 PM
  • I had to point at (Local-Machine) for it to work
    Friday, March 22, 2019 1:40 PM
  • Hi rgn,

Glad to know that it helped.

Monday, March 25, 2019 6:35 AM