Computer Name change + EWF commit = reboot loop RRS feed

• Question

• I need to be able to change the computer name dynamically on a Win7Emb image with EWF ram(reg) enabled. After changing the computer name (and before rebooting), I call ewf -commit. This sends the system into a reboot loop (from which the only way to escape is to boot in safe mode, disable the ewf, then reboot and re-enable). I cannot verify, but I have been informed that this was not an issue with XP embedded.

Is this a bug, or is there some other method for changing the computer name without having to disable the ewf and changing the computer name, then reboot, then re-enabling ewf and re-reboot? Even having to reboot once is less than ideal (albeit necessary), twice is absurd.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:27 PM

Answers

• Issue that I was seeing was due to EWF on a SSD with TRIM enabled. Refer to post titled "System File Corrupted with EWF RAM enable".

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/quebeceefs/thread/572183c3-7d13-4d7e-b836-7feebf00ed14

- Aaron
    • Marked as answer by Aaron-CCC Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:00 PM

All replies

• When you change the computer name, Windows will force a reboot of the system so if can change the underlying security info

Try this:

1. Do a commit and disable live.
    2. Change the name
    3. enable EWF
    4. Reboot the machine

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:32 PM
  • Thanks Sean. I have done some more testing, and it seems it is not linked to the system restart. Performing ewf commit, then rebooting triggers a reboot loop.

I have tried the commitanddisable -live, and it seems to work, but that method opens the door during period while ewf is disabled.

Any thoughts on what would cause this behavior from a -commit? (it happens even if nothing has changed about the image)

- Aaron
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:30 PM
  • I will defer to the Microsoft team on this one. Most projects lock in the computer name and dont change it, if ever.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:52 PM
  • Issue that I was seeing was due to EWF on a SSD with TRIM enabled. Refer to post titled "System File Corrupted with EWF RAM enable".

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/quebeceefs/thread/572183c3-7d13-4d7e-b836-7feebf00ed14

- Aaron
    • Marked as answer by Aaron-CCC Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:00 PM