none
Issues with black clothing RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all,

Trying to do green screen on Windows using Kinect V2, but finding issues with black clothes, particularly clothes and skirts. Wanting to check it wasn't my code I did lots of tests in Kinect Studio with various people to see the raw sensor data.

Here is a video

[edit] Microsoft won't let me post a link as this is my first post, thats a bit silly "

• Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Thursday, September 8, 2016 10:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

i've experienced something similar with Kinect V1 where people wearing leather jackets would have no upper body in the background removed image.

Do you do your own background substraction or do you use the body index provided by the Kinect SDK?

I think it is simply a limitation of working with Kinect and it's IR light. If there is no IR light reflected to be picked up by the IR sensor it cannot do it's job. That both goes for structured light and TOF like Kinect V2. When using a green screen you don't want your visitors to wear green clothes either.

kind regards,

Roland Smeenk

Thursday, September 8, 2016 8:20 PM
  • It's exactly as Roland says.

IR and reflective materials don't mix. The problem is not so much with the color itself as it is with the material. It can either be a reflective facric or a reflective dye.

Sadly there's nothing to be done apart from asking people to take them off.

One time I had someone helping me with a remote installation of a product and the helper I was given, had a black leather skirt. Asking her to take it off would not be appropriate. In a different occasion, it was a leather jacket with glitter like stuff. As soon as the model took off the jacket, all was well.

PS: The same effect can be seen in the Depth Frame when you put Kinect in front a glass and the glass material is highly refractive.Again IR limitations.
    Friday, September 9, 2016 12:28 PM