Application Containers RRS feed

• Question

• There doesn't seem to be much info available regarding App Containers, just that they're read only, but no 'use cases'.

I can understand why App Containers by design would be marked as read only, but is there any undocumented way of having a writable App Container? And whilst App Containers don't seem to be widely discussed, unless I'm missing something I can't be the only person who's thought about this. When searching for FSLogix, everything seems to be based around Profile and Office containers with a bit of App Masking thrown in. There isn't much for App Containers or Redirection.

An example would be an app that installs under C:\Program Files\XxxxX\ and then writes back to the same folder in terms of storing licence information inside an encrypted file, and storing data or user settings in other files. And from the testing I've done in the past the FSLogix Rule Editor throws up an error if you specify an App Container and Redirect Rule within the same rule, but is happy with it if you break it down into separate rules - alas it doesn't work whichever way you do it.

I'm guessing that it's the filter driver which treats the App Container as read only and won't let you write back, and if that's the case are the any undocumented parameters to get around this?

I'm in the Horizon world of non-persistent desktops, lots, but zero budget for App Volumes or Liquidware (public sector). And whilst the majority of apps we use will run on Win10, there are some apps that are fairly self-contained, won't write to the user's profile but will write back to their installation path. Having groups of apps in a read only stack or baked into the Gold Image is fine, but I'm pondering what I'd do with the app data which needs to be persistent and I was hopful that FSLogix would put a big tick in that box.

• Edited by Ctrl.Z Friday, January 17, 2020 3:35 PM
    Friday, January 17, 2020 1:08 PM