none
Windows Forms App does not create a solution RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a new windows forms app using Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise. I click on new project and I get this screen. There is no option to save a solution nor determine where it will be saved. Proceeding with this seems to only generate one form only. I have VS installed on another computer using VS Community and when clicking on windows forms app, it shows the solution and save location options. Can anyone give me advice on how to get this screen? I already re-installed with no luck. Thank you in advance.

I would include an image, but this website is not allowing me.

Sunday, March 31, 2019 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hi

Are you referring to this screen?

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Sunday, March 31, 2019 3:43 PM
  • Yes. When I get to that screen, it only shows Name and Framework. I do not see Location and Solution Name.
    Sunday, March 31, 2019 3:45 PM
  • Hi

I have tried to emulate what you say you have by changing various options - I can't cause the Location line not to be shown.

Maybe someone else can help.

BTW: I am using the Community version - maybe there are different Options available in the Enterprise version?

Sunday, March 31, 2019 4:21 PM
  • Thank you anyway. I am going to try a complete uninstall and reinstall. Before this, I did a repair.
    Sunday, March 31, 2019 4:29 PM
  • I am going to try a complete uninstall and reinstall. Before this, I did a repair.

I assume that you did the install with "Run as administrator"?

If the problem persists you may want to post in this forum:

Visual Studio Setup and Installation
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vssetup&filter=alllanguages

- Wayne

Sunday, March 31, 2019 8:01 PM
  • Hello,

The following is for Enterprise edition of VS2017.

Look under "Other Project Types", use "Visual Studio Solutions", select "Blank Solution". After that add a project by showing Solution Explorer, right click on the solution name, select add new project, select a Visual Basic project.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Sunday, March 31, 2019 10:58 PM
  • It appears as if it tries to save the solution folder to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temporary Projects. I don't know why it would do this.
    Monday, April 1, 2019 5:35 PM
  • Hi

Is the Options->Projects Location set up correctly?

Monday, April 1, 2019 5:47 PM
  • With Enterprise you get a choice when creating a new solution

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Monday, April 1, 2019 6:03 PM
  • With Enterprise you get a choice when creating a new solution

In the Community Edition there is also a "Browse" button for Location,
    as seen in Les' pic above. (Assuming of course that the Location section
    of the dialog actually appears.)

- Wayne

Monday, April 1, 2019 6:22 PM

• Is the Options->Projects Location set up correctly?

In case you're not familiar with the menus in VS, the "Options" setting to
    which Les referred and posted a pic is found under the "Tools" menu item in
    the IDE.

- Wayne

Monday, April 1, 2019 7:57 PM