none
Copy - paste of data between desktop excel file and web embedded table RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm not sure this is the right place for my problem, but I'll give it a try:

I'm trying to automatically copy data from a range of cells from a desktop Excel file to an excel table embedded on a website, by pressing a button on the desktop excel file. The embedded table is hosted on MS Skydrive. Then, during the same session, I want the calculated data from a range of cells of the web embedded table to be copied on the desktop Excel file. The web embedded table can not be downloaded, nor can it be fully opened, but it can be directly edited on the website.
    Do you think it is feasible? Grateful if anybody can give me a hint.

Thanks in advance,
    Gabriel
    Monday, December 17, 2012 10:54 PM

Answers

• Hi, Gabriel

One way to accomplish your proposed scenario is with a database such as SQL Azure. First write a web service to read from and write to the database. Write your web page with queries to the service so that your embedded table can display values from the database.

Then write your app with read/write calls to the service so that it can post and receive data from the database. With this architecture, the app does not need to interact directly with a website. Instead, everything can simply talk with the master data in the database.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Michael

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Gabriel,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

According to your description, I've realized that you want to copy data from Excel to Excel Web App.

By using automatically, do you mean that you want your things done programmatically? If so, I think your request is impossible since we don't have an API for the Excel Web App that's available through SkyDrive now.

However, if you're using Excel 2013, you can login your account open the workbooks saved in your SkyDrive. After you've made adaptions, you can save it back to SkyDrive.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Hi, Quist,

Thank you for the answer. The description I made in my first message looks now to me somehow confusing - please find here a clearer description: If I manually use a sequence such as: Ctrl+C on desktop Excel file, then switch (Alt+tab) to the website where the table is embedded, select a cell, then Ctrl+V, the selected values are copied from desktop Excel to the web embedded table. If I manually do the reverse sequence (from the table on the site where it is embedded, to desktop Excel), it works again.

What I am trying to achieve automatically is to have the above sequences executed consecutive, when I press a single button on desktop excel file.

For reference, I found a VBA macro at http:/excelexperts.com/web-query-solution (the forum does not allow me to post URL) which could be close to a solution for the second sequence (copying from web embedded table to desktop excel file), but I can not make it work for an excel table embedded on my website, although it works quite ok in gathering data on desktop excel from the site http:/investing.money.msn.com.

For the first sequence (copy from desktop to web table), I have no idea to test.

Do you have any hint about how to solve this?

Thanks again,

Gabriel

• Edited by gabriel and Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:38 PM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Hi, Gabriel

One way to accomplish your proposed scenario is with a database such as SQL Azure. First write a web service to read from and write to the database. Write your web page with queries to the service so that your embedded table can display values from the database.

Then write your app with read/write calls to the service so that it can post and receive data from the database. With this architecture, the app does not need to interact directly with a website. Instead, everything can simply talk with the master data in the database.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Michael

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Hi, Michael

Thank you for the answer. Although I do not hold the necessary skills to apply the scenario you recommended, I somehow feel that it can be a real solution. Grateful of you can indicate some links that can guide me to learn what I need to put in practice your recommendation.

Cheers,

Gabriel

Gabriel

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:08 PM